single switch/one gang dimmer replaced with 2 gang dimmer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,
I have read through a multitude of the questions remotely similar to my problem but still can't find a solution - In our living room we replaced 1 light switch & I gang dimmer placed right next to each other, with a round chrome 2 gang dimmer switch (baring in mind that the original single light switch was for the main living room ceiling light & the dimmer switch for 2 overhead picture strip lights & a further ceiling light above the dining table - After replacing with the chrome 2 gang dimmer switch it worked fine for a few months but now only the main ceiling light works (& dims) but the overhead picture lights & other ceiling light no longer work at all -
One side which functions the single main ceiling light only is wired like so:
L1 BLUE
L2 YELLOW
~ RED
What I need to know is where do the remaining 3 black & 3 red wires go (as the earth is already screwed in)
Your help would be greatly appreciated
Kindest Regards

Sponsored Links
If all lamps worked for a few months after you fitted the dimmers you must have got it right ( see note ). So if one set have failed either on terminal has come loose or that dimmer has failed.

NOTE the earth wires should be connected to the earth terminal on the face plate as it is metal. With plastic front plates the earth goes to the back box.

Hi there,
Thanks for your reply - The problem is now I took all the wires out whilst waiting for your reply & can't remember where they all go - Can you tell me where the 3 red & 3 black wires go (doooh) many Thanks

Here's someone that can find out where the wires go:

crystal20ball.jpg

OK step at a time. Were any of the wires connected together in a connection block in the switch box? Which ones?

PS, you wont get instant replies on here. There isnt a cast of paid sparkies chained to their PCs waiting for the next question. I may dip in from time to time when i'm not walking the dog, shopping, taking daughter to horse riding (weekends) or working for a living (during the week.)

Sponsored Links
Yes 3 black wires were wired into a clear plastic cube type block, like a link terminal but I think one of the wires was loose. I have taken a photo of it for you but don't know how to upload it!!! Soemthing else I dont know how to do (ha ha)

[IMGhttp://i214.photobucket.com/albums/cc210/simisworkshop/2gang2.jpg[/IMG]
2gang1.jpg
[/img]

Please click on the link above or (copy & paste them into your browser) to view the wires on the back of my 2 gang dimmer switch.
Many Thanks ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back