Single Vs Double Vs Triple Radiator

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My living room is the coldest room in my house, having the front door opening directly into it & also being north facing.

It currently has a double panel, single convector radiator 600x800 & I was wondering if a double panel, double convector or even a triple would make much of a difference? Ideally I would like to put a larger radiator in altogether but as I have laminate flooring it is not easy to change the pipework and make it look nice, unless anyone has any suggestions?

Many Thanks

Sponsored Links
Do a heat loss for the room. That is what decides how hot the room is to be.

Also, try running the boiler on a higher setting to get the radiator hotter, thus giving off more heat to heat the 'extra' cold room with outside being baltic at present

Thanks for the reply. There is a lot of heat loss especially when the front door is opened, bbrrrrr haha.

If I have the boiler set high, the room will eventually get comfortable but that is after a couple of hours whereas the rest of the house will be toasty within 30 minutes & then stay very warm.

Where is your wall thermostat?

Do you have thermostatic valves on all rads except where the wall thermostat is located?

What temperature is the boiler set to?

Sponsored Links
I do have TRVs on all rads except the one nearest the boiler (bypass), but I find them very unreliable maybe due to their age.

I also do not have a room stat and instead control everything from the boiler, an aging WB240RSF, but a work horse that I have kept going for the last 6 years.

I do have TRVs on all rads except the one nearest the boiler (bypass), but I find them very unreliable maybe due to their age.
What make are they? You may be able to get replacement heads.

In what way are they unreliable?

I also do not have a room stat and instead control everything from the boiler, an aging WB240RSF, but a work horse that I have kept going for the last 6 years.
Controlling the heating by the boiler stat is virtually impossible. You should install a room stat or, if you have no timer, a programmable stat in the living room. You will to either remove the TRV head or replace it with a wheel valve.

Would this be worth it on a heating system this old though?

They are unreliable in as much as if they are not fully open the radiator pretty much goes off.

Would this be worth it on a heating system this old though?
Yes. It will have to be done when you replace the boiler. Doing it now will save you money on your heating bill and when you install a new boiler.

They are unreliable in as much as if they are not fully open the radiator pretty much goes off.
Sounds as if the system has not been properly balanced.

You haven't said what make they are. If you don't know, can you post a pic so we can identify them?

I am not at home to check what make they are I am afriad, but they are basically a spring afrair that pushes a pin in/out.

I do not plan to be in this house for many years so am just trying to keep it going & keep warm.

Going back to my original question, would a triple rad make much difference?

Thanks

The exsiting TRVs are all Danfoss & are horizontally mounted as opposed to vertical like most modern ones I have seen.

Sounds like the radiator is undersized as you say, have you changed the lay out of the house , removed any walls etc?

Do a heat loss calculation on the living room, won't take long but will accurately measure what size is needed for that space.

Any way you could add another to a differant part of the room rather than adjusting pipework?

Until you do the calc, you will just be taking a wild guess which could still be useless.

Sam

Just done a quick calculation online & I get a figure of 4422 BTUs so that says to me that a 600x800 double should be ok, but it really is not, well does not seem to be.

Do a little of everything - upgrade the radiator by going to double/ double convector. You may get away with the same connections if there is a bit of give in the pipes. Try to reduce the impact from the front door - a door curtain. Turn the hottest radiators down a bit by turning down the lockshield valve (at the other end from the TRV).
Supplementary heating - electric or gas fire in the front room just for an occasional boost (assuming no kids about).

The ultimate answer is to build a porch on the front, to create an air lock!! :oops:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back