single zone UFH and combi boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hello all.

I have done lots and lots of research and am getting a bit confused now. I will be calling in the professionals but want to understand what I am asking for and what they are telling me so I can ensure it is correct.

I have had new UFH installed using a single zone system the same as the John Guest type.

The rest of house has radiators which run off a combi (ravenheat. yes, yes. i know). The boiler is controlled through a Salus 7 day wireless programmer with the boiler timer on constant.

Now what i would like to do is seperate the systems so i can run each independantly (rads and ufh) with 2 seperate thermostats and programmers. In my head i need to tee the flow from the boiler after the automatic bypass (which i guess i do not currently have. do i need this?), each end of the tee goes to a 2port valve with each 2 port valve is then controlled by a thermostat. Can i reuse the salus for one valve (ie rads) and buy another salus for the other valve (ie ufh)?

In my head it works in principle but do not know enough about the wiring side to be sure if it is possible.

Any help appreciated.

Steve

Sponsored Links
right, i've done a bit more research and as far as i can tell i can reuse my existing Salus RT500RF to control one valve and I need to buy a second one to control the other valve. I will also need a wiring centre. Both valves, wiring centre and RF receivers are all located near the boiler (although RF receivers need to be a metre apart to prevent interference. Then a whole bunch of magical wiring happens between the boiler and wiring centre and the 2 valves and and receiver also all get wired into the wiring centre. sound about right? if so I can get these bits ordered and get bits fitted ready for the pro to wire them.

Cheers, Steve

Sponsored Links
That will work what your doing

Also no reason why you cant use a 3 port valve if you wish ...... then youve always got 1 port open for the pump overrun and no need for an auto bypass if you do the radiators on the hot water port (B)

If it was me I would not use Salus but go with Honeywell ( but you have ravenheat so prehaps you cherish unrealiabilty)

Just wire up as a normal Y plan or s plan depending what you go with

Although the above post is correct, and you have a changeover switch in the Salus, you'll be making yourself even more problems.

Go with the S plan and 2 x 2 port valves, but read the next paragraph.

The biggest problem is Ravenheat use volts free so you need the correct relays, to prevent blowing the PCB up.

The Salus has volt free contacts available.

As for his boiler all we know is that its a Ravenheat and its not in France.

So we dont know if its volt free or mains but regardles the Salus can be wired to suit.

Tony

The Salus has volt free contacts available.

As for his boiler all we know is that its a Ravenheat and its not in France.

So we dont know if its volt free or mains but regardles the Salus can be wired to suit.

Tony

Best to read the question before commenting Tony.

All Ravenheats are volts free as far as I know.

However motorised valves are not, so it needs relays.

That is true you could use the grey and orange for volts free, in a 2 port.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back