Sink vacuum problems, not draining..any help is great

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Sorry, probably been asked a thousand times and if so please direct me to right place!

But...I am in the process of completely rebuilding our kitchen yet have been unstuck by something as simple as a sink which gets vacuum locked...? The water trap is this contraption from Ikea and has caused no end of trouble.

As per usual with these problems, huge airbubbles try and rush up the waste pipe when the plug is let out, and the water runs just fine for about 2 seconds, then it slows to the point that the water is nothing more than a trickle and barely leaving the sink.

The wmc plugs straight into an airtight pipe on LHS of bottle trap, overflow from sink into RHS, but the water just doesn't want to budge.

Any ideas what to do here? Do i bin the whole system and just build a new trap myself with smaller diametre pipes to reduce the vacuum/ syphon effect or fit some sort of AAV, and if so where, waste side of the trap and what sort of AAV can anyone recommend?

Sorry, i bet this has been covered before but any hep would be great, slowing down the rest of the work no end...and the wife is nagging about not having a washing machine!

Sponsored Links
Cheers for that but i would have put the overflow into the small brach at the top of the waste pipe not the washing machine, is that not right?

The system before had a T splitting from the bottom waste pipe. LHS went off to a u-bend and standpipe (not airtight) for the washing machine. RHS went up to bottle trap which had a "silentvent" attached. the previous house owner had also drilled holes in the top of the pipe just after the trap so i presume this vacuum problem is not new...

can you not use a p trap with two washing machine outlets then you can connect your overflow/w machine.

Sponsored Links
Sounds like a plan thanks, but will this get around the problem of the vacuum? fitting the washing machine in airtight seems to be wrong to me, but i really don't know that much about plumbing at all!

Given the last system has this "Silentvent" piece do i need to work something like that is to deal with the vacuum?

that set up sounds a bit strange.
have you any pics of what its like i can't quite picture it.
i try to avoid bottle traps on sinks.

Will do my bestto get some pictures of the old and the new set up on here soon, in the mean time anyone who can tell me about AAV's and how they wold work under a sink would be great.

Thanks, Seco, lots of help

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back