siting a conservatory

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
SWMBO insists that we have a conservatory. I'm dubious that because it will be on a north facing wall that gets very little if any sun, it will end up being a heatsink (take heat away from rest of house)

Any advice (apart from give in and have an easy life)?

Sponsored Links
I have a cony, which is South facing, it get lovely and warm most of the year when the sun is out.

Andy

What do women know about such things eh?? I bet she only want's one because a friend or neighbour, has got one. Conservatories should at least face where the sun shines South East, South, or South West. ;) ;)

Don't have one but have read that north-facing ones get used more as south-facing overheat intolerably

Sponsored Links
Hey Hummy, You've changed your post, it said South facing!

Moutain, my cony is south facing, but we have an internal shade to shade from direct sunlight above. It gets used most of the year. :LOL:

Andy

The only place I'd put a conservatory is on a north facing wall. They are usable in summer, very pleasant in fact. Any other wall and I'd want a proper roof. In fact I'd want a proper roof on a north facing conservatory, but then it wouldn't be a conservatory.

It shouldn't be a heatsink as it has to be thermally isolated from the rest of the house.

OK I confess, I did change the aspect to North facing, after I'd realised my mistake.

So it seems that the aspect is OK, next question.

The patio (ha, ha) where it will stand is in need of a complete replacement anyway, so I assume I can relay the whole patio first, with a greater depth as foundations for the conservatory than elsewhere. What depth founds for the conservatory area please?

That's all.

OK I confess, I did change the aspect to North facing, after I'd realised my mistake.

So it seems that the aspect is OK, next question.

The patio (ha, ha) where it will stand is in need of a complete replacement anyway, so I assume I can relay the whole patio first, with a greater depth as foundations for the conservatory than elsewhere. What depth founds for the conservatory area please?

That's all.

Dont lay a patio and plonk a conservatory on top (its thats what you meant) - water will run under the frame ! However, there are new lightweight flooring systems that could be used on top of a patio.
Best to build it properly with foundations, then do the patio afterwards. Anyway a patio would get messed up by the build process.
Simon.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back