Size of HW pipe.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A couple of simple questions to be answered for me please;
1. I have a cloakroom with a basin that only has a cold water tap. Can I run a hot water supply to the basin in 10mm copper pipe?
2. Can anyone give me a rough idea of labour costs to replace, only, the hot water cylinder in the airing cupboard?
Many thanks

Sponsored Links
you can take a tapping from your next nearest hot water pipe which neednt be in the airing cupboard. im guessing your cloakroom is downstairs so maybe a tee off your hot in the kitchen, but its simply down to the distance of your nearest hot appliance which would give you an indicator of price for the job.

i wouldnt do it in 10mm though as youd get very poor flow from your new hot tap as the hot is supplied via a gravity feed.

1) Not recommended, use 15mm.

2) Very approx £250 + VAT, labour only, if that is what you meant.

If you're looking at using 10mm for ease of installation, I'd recommend a coil of 15mm speedfit or Hep. Easier to work with than copper for yourself, plus only two joints - one into any existing hot water pipework nearby and one into the basin tap. No worries about soldering nor compression joints, plus you'd have to be a complete numpty to kink it.

If you do go for this option, then make sure your joint into the existing pipe has easy access for inspection and repairs, and that you bridge the cut into the existing copper pipe with appropriate earth bonding (2 earth clamps plus 10mm earth cable).

Sponsored Links
and that you bridge the cut into the existing copper pipe with appropriate earth bonding (2 earth clamps plus 10mm earth cable).

4mm earth is all you need for this. (supplementary bonding)

Only needs 10mm for the gas meter/pipe and cold mains point of entry.

and that you bridge the cut into the existing copper pipe with appropriate earth bonding (2 earth clamps plus 10mm earth cable).

4mm earth is all you need for this. (supplementary bonding)

Only needs 10mm for the gas meter/pipe and cold mains point of entry.

Oops - I stand corrected. :oops: Although, my understanding is that if the op has a consumer unit to 17th edition, then supplementary bonding is no longer required. Or so my spark mate tells me.

Yes, I believe you are correct. The main thing is there has to be RCD protection, which of course the 17th must include.

Yes, I believe you are correct. The main thing is there has to be RCD protection, which of course the 17th must include.

That's what my friend told me too. Thanks for correcting me over the earth cable sizing by the way.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back