size of RSJ for through lounge?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a 30's semi, I want to knock through to make a lounge diner. I will contact the building regs lot and will have to get structural calc's so it's all done right.
In the meantime, just as a rough guide, the wall is load supporting, single brick, I intend to leave 18" each side to support the padstone and RSJ, the clear span will be 9 feet, roughly how tall/ wide will the steel need to be?

Sponsored Links
Noseall;

A 178 x102 would be well-OK.

Now - seriously - I'm not joking about this(!) but, if it's supporting a 1/2 brick wall, plus - presumably 1/2 floor from each side - on a rough calc. I think he'd still be fine with a -wait for it - 152x89!!

9ft is not a big span, and a 6" deep joist will fit in better with his courses.

Thanks lads, am I right in thinking that I have to cover the beam with 2 layers of plasterboard? or can I put mesh across it and have that plastered?

Sponsored Links
DIY ed,

Perhaps have a look at this BCO site:

horsham.gov/environment building control guidance

Out of interest, is it better to fit the padstone n steel and then knock the bricks out beneath? or is it better to do all the knocking out then fit the stones n steel?

It depends on site conditions: eg any shaky brickwork, whats the above load, joist runs, and perhaps point load(s).

Usually, we would prop and then remove the masonry.
And then lift or slide in the steel.
Propping, and perhaps wedging off the lintel, is the key to safe and sound linteling

Padstones, if possible, would be placed or poured, and allowed to settle before the other work.

AAMOI: if you wished to eliminate the two 18" nibs you could, by upping the lintel specs a little, rest the lintel bearings in the opposing walls - just a thought.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back