Skim / Re-plaster / Board - Which?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've got 2 (hopefully) simple questions regarding some works to a house I am trying to tidy up currently.

1. In the bathroom I have taken off a huge amount of wall tiles which have also taken with them a good chunk of the plaster. They are on the external wall, party wall and internal walls. I can't afford to lose any space or the bath will not fit down the far end (1700mm). Is there any good patch repair I could use to make the surface good to paint or is it a better idea to knock it all back to the brickwork/blockwork and replaster fully?

2. In the kitchen below the bathroom I have a similiar question. However with the kitchen I've been advised to batten the wall out and board it to allow the new ring main to run more easily. Is this a sensible idea or should I be trying to plaster over the wires again?

See pics below of both. Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
hi i've been a plasterer for 14 years and in the bathroom i would treat the walls with thistle bond it(available at travis perkins)then patch the holes with bonding and skim the lot unless your tiling it all again
with the kitchen battening it out and boarding it will save time for the electrician and keep the mess down from chasing out the walls and be a quicker job for a plasterer to plaster afterwards
hope this helps

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back