Skimming - one or two coats?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
When skimming plasterboard is it best to do two coat plastering, ie do the scrim joints - fill in the gaps and then cover again completly, or is in one good enough? I've seen both done so just wanted to find out what the concensus of opinion was.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
I always scrim joints with self adhesive scrim, then plaster it all. One coat as then "polishing" is like giving a second coat, as your filling in voids and scraping away high spots. Have you thought of just taping and jointing? Nice finish when done good, as you cant get flatter than a plasterboard already is, never mind how good your plastering is!

we prefer two coat skim, it allows for easier workability and covers all imperfections.

Sponsored Links
And at what stage does the second coat go on? (please)

On plaster board - practically straight after the first. Just make sure it's starting to 'firm' up.

Ok. So the laying in coat can go on before the first coat has turned purplish (if you see what I mean?) then?

You can use a skimming sponge after one coat, then polish off with a trowel. It saves time and money

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back