Skimming walls in old house

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,
I've just bought a house built in 1900 in need of modernisation. I'd like to get all the walls skimmed so I can have a smooth finish for painting.

The walls have the original plaster on them. Is it feasable to skim over the top of this plaster? Or would it be necessary to chip it off, and board it and skim?

Cheers.

Sponsored Links
Ben,
If the old plaster on the walls is sound, there is no reason at all why they can't be skimmed, and there's certainly no need to take off the old plaster.If it's falling to bits that's a different story, but even then, if it came to removing it, i'd plaster back onto the old lath.... Get a plasterer in to give you his opinion because the walls would have to be seen in real time. Old plastered walls that are sound, properly prepared and skimmed over with a decent thickness look great,and in my opinion beats plasterboard anyday, especially in the older property.

Roughcaster.

Hi Ben,

Congratulations on buying your house. I'm sure that it's got loads of character to it. I bought an old Edwardian house a few years back in a condition that sounds very similar to what yours is in now.

Can i emphasise what Roughcaster says and advise you not to go down the plasterboard route. In a house of that era, it would simply be a crime to put board in!

In our house i've skimmed a fair few of the walls myself, although have had to take a few back to brick. Just remember that the plaster on the walls is likely to be 100 years old as well and maybe external walls or walls where heaters have been may need completely re-plastering. The same can be said if the house has previously been damp. On the other hand you may get away with patching up the loose stuff (if any) and skimming over. That's worked for me on a couple of walls.

I'm not sure if any of the above is of help to you (!) but I think that what i'm trying to say is if you're unsure, get a pro or two in to advise you. Skimming may be an option to you but because of the age of the plaster behind don't be surprised to see a crack or two after 12-18 months.

Rich. :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back