Skip Advice on Block Paving

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All
Had some block paving done a year or so ago and now i need to get a skip to chuck a stack of stuff i have had loitering in the garden for years.

The question i have is if i get a 6 yard or so sized skip, what should i put beneath it to protect the paving. I am reasonably sure that it will not sink into the paving but impossible to guarantee so i thought about getting (making) up some bearers.

Anyone use bearers when getting a skip on block paving?
Is it worth it?
What size, i was thinking 4x4 going widthways but not too sure how long they need to be

Any help would be greatly appreciated on this one

Lee

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
The main problem with skips on drives is not that they sink in (assuming the drive was properly constructed) but that when they are collected they are usually dragged for a bit before they are lifted up which can cause irreparable damage to most domestic drive surfaces. Particularly so if there is a sharp chunk of metal poking out where they have suffered previous damage.

The best option is to lay a sheet of 18mm ply where the skip will sit, then when it gets collected it won't take chunks out of your drive. Also bear in mind that most skip trucks are 18 tonnes so you probably won't want it, or the stabilising legs, on a domestic drive unless the subbase is reinforced concrete.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back