summerhouse / log cabin base

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have just had block paving patio installed at the bottom of my garden and I am in the process of purchasing a log cabin (4x4m). I have attached a photo which shows the patio area and the footprint of the cabin. The cabin is supplied with pressure treated bearers.

So my questions relating to constructing the base are:

1) just put the bearers directly on the patio and build from there
2) put dpc layer underneath the bearers
3) put paving slabs or alternative down (not fixed to patio) with dpc layer then bearers on top (bearing in mind cabin is just under 2.5m in height, so need to consider puting it over this with regards to planning permission...)
4) other thoughts?

I'm new to this forum and I have searched for an answer to this, but couldn't find an answer to this specific situation, so please go easy on me!

Cheers,

Andy

Attachments

• IMG_20160420_172059.jpg
    IMG_20160420_172059.jpg
    270.2 KB · Views: 261
Sponsored Links
I would try and space it off the patio a fraction. Use something like a thin concrete flag or perhaps even a thick tile. It only needs to be 15mm off the ground to save the bearers. You'll need a variety of shims of all sorts to get the building level because of the fall on the paving, fake slates are good for this. If you have it too high off the ground the step in the door begins to get silly.

Use DPC if you have some lying around but i wouldnt worry too much if not.

Thanks for your advice. Much appreciated.

How close together would you recommend placing the flags/tiles? I presume I want to get as much contact with the bearers as possible. I also assume that the set up will be sturdy enough with the flags/tiles being loose/not secured to the patio?

I presume I could buy thin second hand concrete slabs of gumtree? Where would I get the fake slate shims?

Cheers

Andy

Sponsored Links
I would put them every few feet. Depends on the size of summerhouse and the size of floor joist/bearers Just judge if there is any bounce?

Artificial slates available at any builders merchant. Likewise you'll get flags etc there, really you can use anything that is strong enough and wont rot, plastic or masonary

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back