Skip lorry dimensions

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
image.jpg
Dear Experts,

Can anyone comment on how much space a skip lorry needs, and how flat the ground needs to be?

We're considering getting a small skip for some work at an elderly relative's house. There is limited space at the front, and lots of neighbours cars, but there is also a driveway at the back of the house and we're considering putting the skip there. But this driveway is quite steep and narrow. It joins the road at the bottom almost like a slip road.

Sorry I don't have a photo; here is a Street View screenshot. My recollection is that it is steeper than it appears there, but I've not visited for a few years.

Sponsored Links
if its a bit tight you can push the skip back clear off the road/path
then when they come to pick it up they will extend the boom drag the chains back to the skip pull it forward till there's enough room to get to it properly

Last edited:
Thanks. Does that photo look "a bit tight" or "impossible" to you?
I know it's a hard question..... but your collective wisdom is better than the alternative of guessing!

Sponsored Links
Skip lorries are 8 foot wide plus the width of the mirrors, midi skip lorries might be 7 feet (if your particular company has them). They can handle a fair bit of camber and steep hills. I'd say, from looking at the screen shot, that you'll get a skip at the start of that opening but you won't get the lorry down there without widening it.

Thanks for the replies. Any thoughts about national networks like "just skips" linked by big-all above vs. finding a local company?

We have a long narrow drive a bit like a country lane and the problem we encountered was not the size of the skips nor the size of the truck...but the useless drivers! Overhanging trees don't help either (hint).

Some drivers were absolutely clueless but some were brillaint at reversing in up the 100m drive.

Sadly it was pot luck who was delivering or collecting on the day. Requesting their 'small' truck did help though but it looked like the same size truck to me. I think perhaps the 'small' truck driver was a better more experienced driver and he got the tricky jobs! Some seemed to relish the challenge.

We have a long narrow drive a bit like a country lane and the problem we encountered was not the size of the skips nor the size of the truck...but the useless drivers! Overhanging trees don't help either (hint).

Some drivers were absolutely clueless but some were brillaint at reversing in up the 100m drive.

Sadly it was pot luck who was delivering or collecting on the day. Requesting their 'small' truck did help though but it looked like the same size truck to me. I think perhaps the 'small' truck driver was a better more experienced driver and he got the tricky jobs! Some seemed to relish the challenge.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back