Skirting board help....

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

Whats the best or simplist way of fitting a new skirting board to a curved wall (Bay window)

I was told to cut along the visible surface every 50mm and this would enable the wood to follow the curvature of the wall.

Afterwards i suppose i could fill & sand down the 'cutting marks' and then paint.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks in advance,

Regards,
Antonio

Sponsored Links
Forget it !
You would have to cut it every 10mm from corner to corner at the back and when you've done that after 8 hrs and ready to put it in,you will hear a nice sound CRAAACKED!!!,then you need to order more timber bulks delivery.

You would be better off using MDF skirting board which are very bendy and also now come in already cut out at the back for you to bend it further.

Ok - thanks for the advice.

Any suggestions where i can get hold of this mdf? (With slots already cut in)

Just been told,they don't do it now only on made to order but they assure me the mdf board will bend anyway !

What I would do is,make sure the skirting board length is longer than the bay window and drill a hole on each end with a rope thru' it then tighten it up to the shape of the window bay,leave it over night.

Sponsored Links
This is just a thought, never tried it myself, but when people in certain professions (boat building?) want to bend wood, they soften it up by either soaking or steaming it first. Then when it is nice and pliable they nail/screw it to the frame they want it bend around (in this case your bay window wall).

I would think there are probably some chemicals you can buy that do the same thing.

The theory of this is: wood is a composite material (similar to carbon fibre or fibreglass). This means that it is basically just fibres all running in one direction, bound together with a polymer (in this case, resin). By softening the resin the fibres should slide over one another more easily, i.e. it will bend more and won't snap so readily. Steaming and chemical treatment would both do this.

You could try using upvc skirting, would be flexable and low maintanance. Look good too.

Try here

I phoned about pvc skirting - manufacturer says it's rigid & won't bend at all

It all depends on thickness, type and curvature. Best thing I can sugest is look at products for yourself. Wickes have some, which i've used before and is very flexable. It all depends on what your after, as a finish.

go-for-it said:
I phoned about pvc skirting - manufacturer says it's rigid & won't bend at all
The thinner thickness skirting board will.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back