skirting board please help me

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello everyone,

I am new here and also a complete newbie with building works etc, after seeing what the builders has done to my property, I am taking the plunge and learn some D.I.Y, I know I am a woman and I don't know anything about building work, but I thought of giving D.I.Y a go, I know it is not easy work, but I am willing to learn bit by bit.

There are many things I need to learn, but as this forum is for wood and woodwork, I came here to ask for help. I want to remove my skirting board and replace it with new ones. can anyone please advice me the best way to do it also what's the best and cheapest skirting board I can buy.

Your help would be much appreciated guys.

Many thanks in advance.

regards

helen :)

Sponsored Links
If its a new build, youll be fine, they can be quite difficult on older houses, where the floors and walls arent flat!!!

Hi Helen and welcome to the made house.

The cost of your skirting will depend on its profile, size and whether its made from MDF (medium density board) softwood (pine) or hardwood. Some think the cheapest place to purchase most DIY materials is the big sheds like B&Q and Wickes . But this may not be the case and it may be worth while checking out the builders merchants and any old fashioned timber yards or independently owned DIY stores in your area. Its my humble opinion the timber supplied by the big sheds is of low grade and its best use is for making rabbit hutches and fire wood.

Again its my humble opinion replacing skirting is not one of the first tasks I would recommend to some one who is new to DIY. If you have set your profile to accept PM's I will send you a PM giving details of a company that works along side DIYers giving professional advice every step of the way.

If its a new build, youll be fine, they can be quite difficult on older houses, where the floors and walls arent flat!!!

Hi Andy,

Thanks very much for your reply, it is much appreciated. My property is an old council flat, so I suppose the skirting board is of council standards. my flat is very square and straight forward, except for the bathroom and corridors.

many thanks helen

Sponsored Links
Hi Awbcm,

Thanks for your reply, it is much appreciated. The skirting boards are of council standards I suppose, my property is a council flat, I am not sure if it's MDF or not, it feels like wooden. Thanks for the tips of where to purchase the skirting boards. I agree with you the skirting boards won't be the first job I will undertake, I am somewhat worry about my crumbling, cracking, rotten walls, i would like to sort this out first and make good before I do anything else, I just thought it can't be a hard job to do, to repair plaster a wall.

I shall search for more advice before I take this project.

Many thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back