Skirting board query

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone.

We're now putting skirting up (9" I think, torus). It's been laying flat in the room for about 3 months but is now warped (cupped? Not sure of the terminoligybut is banana shaped when looked at 'end on'.

This is causing major problems, especially as the walls are so out it's untrue - the 100 year old main house has truer walls than the new extension!

Is there any way to straighten the wood, or best way of putting it up? Or do we need to buy new stuff?

Any suggestions much apreciated!

Sponsored Links
how are you fixing them?
If your walls are so out of true, then its a shame the wood has become warped but it isnt the end of the world.

Thermo :D

With the architrave, I used no more nails, and pinned aswell, but I had to do a lot of caulking where the gaps were very large in places.

When I tried to do the same with the skirting, no more nails won't hold because the wood just 'rocks' against the wall. I tried pinning, but the gap is so large the pins won't hold very strongly, and filler just falls through the gaps.

Someone suggested screwing because this would force the walls back? :confused:

Anyone also got any suggestions on how to stop the wood warping in future?

Sponsored Links
heeelllooo alfietinker

you are correct it is called cupping twist is when it does a good impersonation of a proppeller
if its more than slightly cupped it will probably split when you try and screw the edges down
where did you get your wood from a timber yard /wood merchant or one of the diy sheds
i got some 9 inch torus deliverd today[not a buzzy toy ladies :rolleyes: :rolleyes: ] at £3.65 a m

if its twisted you can often get away with using it on the shorter runs
but cupping is usualy a lost cause [potencial problems out weighing possible costs]

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back