Skirting boards : Fixing vs affixing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone out there recomend a 'good' product for affixing skirting boards to masonry. Its basic white deal moulded timber which will be painted but I dont want to use nails or screws. Please dont suggest the 'no more nails' product as it is not strong enough , in my experience.

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
I know what you're saying but found Gripfill always works for me.It a bit like superglue,not everyone can make it works !!!

Also Gripfill contact adhesive is good.

gripfill is by far the best, however gripfil rapid set and something holding the boards to the wall, i.e props across the room and using solvent free gripfill along the top edges is good as this sands easily should you require to take imputities out of the wall surface and paints like builders chalk, and holds things in place - pefectly!

I concur with the two above. Go to a builders merchant and buy the proper stuff called GRIPFILL. Do not let them fob you off with an alternative.

Original Gripfill is best, it is like a limpit or a woman on heat.

Sponsored Links
Well, well ,well , a woman on heat ,eh ??What a wonderfully colorful analogy that is !!! Anyway will take all your advice folks , thanks for your time.

I used Gripfill and "lost head" nails every metre or so, then caulked the board top edges and nail holes in. Invisible fixing!
Paul

Thanks EL , but what are 'lost head 'nails ??and also are we still talking about fixing to masonry ??

Cheers

i think he means he sunk the nails in slightly, because he also says then caulked the board top edges and nail holes in.

so that implies there is a nail hole, (nail punched in) then nail hole is filled with caulk

You cannot use losthead nails in masonary as it will bend,only cut nails as its made with a wedge type.
Losthead nail
65406.jpg

Cut nail
1817T.jpg

Cannot, or recommended not to?
Mine went in ok. So you can, but prehaps its not the "best solution"

Paul

I think people get confuses of the nails "named"

You have properly used Masonary nails that looks like Losthead nail !

They are both similar but masonary nails are a lot harder material to cope with brick wall etc and losthead nails a softer material which are for flooring so the nail head is flushed with the flooring so the carpet don't catch on it.

See this for nails information.

Had a look at the nails information and was astounded to see that it does not include plastic nails!

Just in case anyone thinks I am getting my April fools in early, as a schoolboy I had a Saturday job in a merchant/DIY shop. We sold plastic nails and people often thought they were a joke!

Advantages of plastic nails are that they don't rust and discolour wood, and they are meant to "stay" better (dunno if this is compared with annular nails, they're a proper git to remove without causing any damage).

Not heard of them,the only one I know are the plastic headed nails type and they are made of stainless steel shank which are non-corrosion maintenance free,maybe they have taken over the plastic nails.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back