skirting for stairs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
don't want this to sound like a stupid question, getting my hall plastered and told my dad to ask the plaster to wait till i have replace the shabby skirting board, my dad said you can't do that they are connected to the stairs! i was lead to believe i could just take them off and get them replaced who is right here or is every house different.....

Sponsored Links
He's probably right, the stairs themselves and the risers are probably wedged into slots in that piece of wood. You can add a moulding on top, but to replace it all you'd have to fit new stairs.

moulding sounds good i did ask if there was such as thing i could cover them with he didn't know apart from that it would be sanding down .. thanks by the way(y)

dca8fb5e19af23efdf242a5786695a21 (1).jpg
just saw this online maybe could smarten up with some edging ...

Sponsored Links
Panel moulding or picture-rail moulding can work well for this, making it look like an original part of the stringer moulding. Depends what your stringer currently looks like, though.

Yes that photo looks OK and as Gerry says if your existing stringer is amenable you'll be able to find the right one to put on top.
Our skirtings etc are basically just square edged floor boards sideways. Next door just added a small moulding on top pretty much like your photo only he managed a neater job, including the curved section near the top where the winders are (goes round the corner)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back