Skirting - mdf or wood?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
After fitting the wood floor, the plan was to fit new skirtings all round. We have already purchased, softwood Torus skirting from wickes (14mmx120mm) which we have primed and painted in readiness.

HOWEVER, after reading too much on the forum, I'm worried that the skirting may warp/cup over time and I really don't want to mess about with it in six months time. One board is cupped beyond use, the rest are within 1mm or thereabouts and a couple have slight twists over the length. As the boards stand, all but the badly cupped one are quite useable, but for the sake of ~£50 and piece of mind would I be better off using MDF ones instead? :confused:

Thanks

Chris

Sponsored Links
personally, if they are to be painted I would go for MDF as much more stable, no knots etc and generally easier to work with.

In my experience such mouldings although "kiln dried" do still tend to be a bit green

In either case make sure you paint both sides to protect from any moisture (natural or leaks/spillages) that could cause future warping

andy

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back