Skirting to architrave transition.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
1000078665.jpg

Hi, my wife wants this architrave running up the stairs to the landing as shown in the image, they are both a torus profile. How do I make the join look neat?

I have various tools including bevels etc..

Sponsored Links
Put a small post in to make the transition.

Sponsored Links
You could use an angle finder, or you could, as I often do. fold a bit of paper so it is over the angle then fold it in half to halve the angle to find the cut angle that bisects, or make a template out of cardboard. The bottom one is of course a 45.Woody's solution is better than my idea for a little post, but a little bit trickier to work out. Go for it.

You could use an angle finder, or you could, as I often do. fold a bit of paper so it is over the angle then fold it in half to halve the angle to find the cut angle that bisects, or make a template out of cardboard. The bottom one is of course a 45.Woody's solution is better than my idea for a little post, but a little bit trickier to work out. Go for it.

So 45 for the first cut, then use a bevel where the stairs stringer let's call it, runs down then drops vertically.

Bisect the angle by halving it and that's the second cut?

Thanks your assistance chaps. I have done the first part. Now I need to blend in the top part. How would I go about this.

1000078940.jpg

Thanks your assistance chaps. I have done the first part. Now I need to blend in the top part. How would I go about this.

View attachment 324981

Your angles are wrong. You need to find the intersecting angle.

The following (rubbish image) should help.

1000078940.jpg

The black line shows where the nosing would end (if you put in a section, as things stand). The pink line shows the approximate angle that you need to cut the mitre at.

I have just fitted dado rails for a customer and had to work out the angles. I used and old skool protractor (from WH Smiths). In your case, you won't be able you use the circular protractor, but you can generate lines higher up, eg a lump of 2 by 4 on top of the existing skirting. and read the angle from that, then half the angle for the final mitre.

Last edited:
Wouldn't it be better here:

View attachment 324984
So long as the angle is halved then all should be good. Your angle however does seem to be massively off.

That said, although both have a torus profile, they are different heights. Perhaps the OP needs to finish the pencil lines upward and then intersect them.

EDIT-

My bad, your angle is much closer than mine was.

Last edited:
The piece coming up can be cut at any angle, it's just a piece I had spare. So I need two pieces to get this cut right? this is where I'm confused. I can't just bisect the current gap? Sorry I'm not great with wood and angles as you can tell! Appreciate all the help and advice though.

The piece coming up can be cut at any angle, it's just a piece I had spare. So I need two pieces to get this cut right? this is where I'm confused. I can't just bisect the current gap? Sorry I'm not great with wood and angles as you can tell! Appreciate all the help and advice though.

The following should help

1000078940.jpg

The blue lines are the top of the skirting.

The red lines are the continuations of the groove in the skirting and architrave.

The green line bisects the above reference points and is the angle that you need to cut at.

Hope that makes sense.

Fold a bit of paper so it fits over the skirt with the top edges aligned and the point of the fold at the apex of the skirt pieces, then fold that angle in half and the angle on the paper is now what to set your saw to. It's harder to describe than to do!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back