Skirtung on skimmed stud

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I have just had my new stud partition skimmed and was wondering the best way to fit the skirting. Would I get away with just using and adhisive or would I be better of using nails or screws? if so what nails or screws should I use? and what is the best method? Thanks

Sponsored Links
Blunda - IMO solvent Gripfill (the green one) works well. If the wall's flat and if the skirting isn't bowed apply an number of dabs (blobs) of Grip on the back of the skirting, push into place - no need for fixings. If it wants to move away, 'cos of a slight bow on the skirting, temporarily hold in place with the odd nail driven through the s/b into the plasterboard (doesn't have to go in far and make sure there's plenty of nail to hold when you pull it out when the Grip has set). Fill any gaps in the skirting/wall interface with decorators caulk. Tip: If you are going to paint the skirting consider using primed mdf stuff (it's dimensionally stable so unlikely to be bowed), if you are going to use timber consider priming it before applying to the wall (just make life easier).

Other here may suggest alternative sticky stuff but Grip has always worked for me.

If you want a professional looking job using panel adhesive ( Gripfill, liquid nails etc ) Then you need to have a glue grove of 2mm deep. See on my guide on Built up skirting it explains the use of glue grooves. This reduces the use of decorators caulk by keeping the joints tight to the wall.

You may also want to have a look at the guide for fixing finished skirting. I realise that you are not fixing finished skirting but the method employed may give you food for thought.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back