Skylight installers - N. London/Hertfordshire

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've got an rusty metal-framed (and leaking) skylight on the stairs landing that needs to be replaced. This isn't a job I want to attempt myself, but I'm having a difficult time finding anyone to do it.

Loft converters aren't interested, Velux window installers only seem to be interested in replacing existing Velux windows and a couple of independent 'Skylight installers' I've contacted haven't bothered to call me back.

Has anyone in North London/Hertfordshire used anyone for this kind of job..?

Sponsored Links
I've done many, the type of window you are talking about is a conservation roof light.

If you can email me over some pictures I could work you out a quote for replacing it.

Here are a couple of murky pics that show the white ceiling as orange (!). I can post some daylight ones tomorrow, if necessary. The skylight is approximately 18" x 28" and has a wooden surround that also needs removing/replacing.

View media item 28866 View media item 28867

The rooflight should be no problem to replace, definately a conservation rooflight.

You will need a plasterer for the internal works though, and once plastered either a decorator or a paint brush ;)

Do you know what type of slate or tile is up there? If not, then could you get a photo of the roof uploaded?

Sponsored Links
Photos attached — slightly ropey, as I had to stretch my arm out of a loft window to take them...

View media item 28931 View media item 28930
There's access to that part of the roof through the skylight itself (obviously) and a Velux window in a loft bedroom, though that would be a touch precarious.

And another one bites the dust, it seems. Why is it so difficult to find a skylight installer in London?

Give SAS a chance, most of us are trying to do a days work before spending our time giving out free information.

Or maybe it's to high up for SAS, I've been told he's scared of heights. :mrgreen:

I've just noticed the dates. Doh!!!

Andy

I'm back. I have no recollection of an agreement between us, nor any further contact other than in this thread, but as others have mentioned the weather hasn't helped anybody.

Were you looking to only install a new window? The reason I ask is because the zinc roof looks past its sell by date and shows signs of having leaked in the past, hence the repairs against the parapet with felt.

As I said previously, get in touch via my website and we can go from there.

@HERTS & Alastair, heights, the cold, not to mention the additional weight of my Christmas belly ;)

Seriously though, since returning back to work in the new year its been absolutely manic work wise, its coming in from all directions, hence my absence from here. Not complaining though, reccession my arse!

Not a problem, SASRoofer. I was just amused by what must be the fourth or fifth window/roofer person I've spoken to so far going quiet after my initial contact — which was my complaint in my first post...

Oddly enough, I have booked a roofer to check out the window later today and he suspects that the zinc might need replacing too. I'll follow up with you through your web site should this turn out to be yet another duff lead, though.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back