Slat wall, wall out of plumb

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Just in the process of completing a slat wall but have ran into an issue with the final slat - as you can see from the attached picture, the gap at the top is a lot wider than the gap at the bottom. The slats are perfectly straight but the window/wall is not. (1930s house)

Whats the best way to finish this? Do I scribe the wood, or cut the whole length the same width and use filler for the gaps either side? Just can't visualise what would look best

Many thanks

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    339.9 KB · Views: 101
Sponsored Links
I'm lost with the whole 'batten wall' look, sorry. Is it supposed to mimmick an airing cupboard shelf? The fused plate sunk below the slats looks naff. This needed to be detailed correctly. I think I'd have tried to sympathise with the wall lean a bit more. But my sympathy ended with design, sorry.

Something chunky and rugged - yes. Or some close grain stuff or classy cedar. I'm just not getting the lath-look, sorry.

I'm lost with the whole 'batten wall' look, sorry. Is it supposed to mimmick an airing cupboard shelf? The fused plate sunk below the slats looks naff. This needed to be detailed correctly. I think I'd have tried to sympathise with the wall lean a bit more. But my sympathy ended with design, sorry.

Something chunky and rugged - yes. Or some close grain stuff or classy cedar. I'm just not getting the lath-look, sorry.

With all due respect, I don't care whether you like it or not! It's not your house, is it? If I wanted your opinion then I'd have asked for it. I'm sure there's things in your house that I don't like too.

I posted this asking for help, so if you don't have anything constructive to say, then why no just refrain from posting instead of making people feel bad for having a go?

Trouble with these things is people only see them online with nice square walls, really needs thinking about before you start banging the slats on the wall. I think I would have done the bit next to the window in plasterboard or timber and also would have reduced the gaps down a bit to end with a full slat at the top. Bit like this:

slats.jpg

Sponsored Links
Trouble with these things is people only see them online with nice square walls, really needs thinking about before you start banging the slats on the wall. I think I would have done the bit next to the window in plasterboard or timber and also would have reduced the gaps down a bit to end with a full slat at the top. Bit like this:

View attachment 340448

Thanks for your reply.

Strangely I didn't have a problem with the left hand side at all, so just cracked on with the right.

Is there anything else I can try to make it good? I don't mind starting again, I can probably salvage most of the wood but not so sure about the wall underneath so want to avoid it if I can!

Cheers

Just rip a batten the right shape for the last one, bit of a faff to cut but it’s done then.
I’d just measure width top and bottom and do a straight cut, unless the wall is really all over the place. Leave at least a 10mm gap to the wall, to give you a bit of tolerance.
Dead easy and quick if you’ve got a plunge/track saw.

Just rip a batten the right shape for the last one, bit of a faff to cut but it’s done then.
I’d just measure width top and bottom and do a straight cut, unless the wall is really all over the place. Leave at least a 10mm gap to the wall, to give you a bit of tolerance.
Dead easy and quick if you’ve got a plunge/track saw.

Thanks for your reply.

The only thing I'm concerned about is a batten wider at the top might accentuate the fact that it's not level, but I suppose my only other option is to cut it the same width top and bottom (which leaves me with a 45mm ish gap to the window in parts) and then use some kind of filler. Not sure which would be easier on the eye though

I’d just cut the piece and see how it looks. Personally I wouldn’t do anything involving filler.

Is anyone concerned that the external wall is 50mm out of plumb?
I looked at that and was guessing the external wall would be relatively plumb and the internal edge wasn't plumb!
Going by his spirit level in the corner.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back