Slate Patio

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm hoping to lay a slate patio in the next couple of weeks, the area is 6x5 meters. I will be putting down MOT1 down first and then laying the flags on a wet bed of 2.2.1.sharp/building sand. cement. What I'm not sure of is amounts, I reckon about 7 tonne of MOT1 should be enough, how much sand/cement will I need to bed them in?

Cheers

Sponsored Links
You'll find calculators for this on the pavingexpert.com site.

Tip: make sure you paint the back of the slabs in neat cement slurry as you put them down, as per manufacturer's instructions. Makes them bind a lot better apparently.

I have had a look at the site and if I'm looking at the calculator its saying to add sand-cement and gravel. Reading other posts on this topic I haven't seen it mention gravel for bedding down flags, so would you recomend adding gravel with the mix or just stick with sand and cement?

Sponsored Links
No gravel. I don't know which you are looking at but this one is relevant:

calculator for paving

They recommend just sand and cement, although I agree with you and use sharp sand too (will give the mix more "body" and crack resistance)[/url]

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back