Slate Roof - pitch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Can anyone advice if there are any design constraints on the maximium pitch of a slate roof.

Anything in building regulation?

We have a very steep and high slate roof, which means in every snow fall we get a substantial weight of snow in te guttering causing the guttering to fail.

I am fighting the builder with regards the guttering is an incorrect design for the pitch of the roof.

If any one can point me at standards or regulations it would be appreciated.
Thanks

Rags

Sponsored Links
Vertical tiling does not a roof make.. Lol.

If vertical I wouldn't have a build up of snow...and no problem lol.

The roof is probably 15deg off the vertical (need to do some better Calcs to prove that figure), 6m wide at bottom, 9m wide at top, and 12-15m in height

The point I was making was that you can do any pitch from about 17.5° up to vertical. You can slate a roof that's 75°. Surely snow isn't gonna collect on a 75° pitch anyway?

Sponsored Links
Thanks.

Because of the design of roof, where each side of the roof has what an best be described as "walls" so the roof is recessed between these walls, with guttering at the base means snow collects in an abundance.

I guess if there are no regulations then my fight with the builder will need to move onto the guttering not being suitably specified.

Cheers

Rag

put in snow boards above the gutter problem solved

Thanks. That's the plan. It seems to be the only solution.

My argument is in a two year old house that the builder holds some responsibility. So if I can find a regulation or guideline somewhere I can quote I have chance to hold them to account.

Failing that I will just pick up the bill.

Mind you though. Finding installers for snow boards or snow guards in the south east of Engalnd is a bit tricky. Not that many need them this far south.

Cheers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back