Slate Roof Problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have a slate roof, which has cement applied on the inside of the battens, presumably to form a seal between the slate and the batten for insulation (I have no idea if this is why it is there - a friend suggested it and it seemed a reasonable idea).

Anyhow, the cement seems to have aged to a point where it's all falling off, which is fairly messy!

The roof in general seems fine (one slipped slate after the Winter's snow).

My question is this: Should I replace the cement which has fallen? I am going to be getting a roofer in for the slipped tiles and will ask his opinion - but I would like to have some idea about the situation before I talk to anyone...

Thanks!

Dave

Sponsored Links
The most common use of mortar under slates is called torching. This consists of a thin line of mortar trowelled across the top edge of each coarse of slate. The purpose of this mortar is intended to stop the very small amount of wind-driven rain or snow, common with slate roofs.

The most common use of mortar under slates is called torching. This consists of a thin line of mortar trowelled across the top edge of each coarse of slate. The purpose of this mortar is intended to stop the very small amount of wind-driven rain or snow, common with slate roofs.
Correct, before the common use of sarking felt all roofs had torching on tile/slate battens.
The torching was an unusual mixture of sand/sometimes coal dust, horse hair and lime.
Bizarrely I was once stopped from taking off a roof because of the possible risk of coming into contact with anthrax through the horse hair mix!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back