Sleeved Brass Bolt – Garden Furniture

Status
Not open for further replies.
Special thanks to Xerxes and Belboz for helping.

Interscrew seems to be the best search term, but I am still struggling.

I have been moved to actually measure the dimensions of the thing I'm looking for, and it turns out to have a shaft diameter of 8mm (5/16"?) and a length of 54mm. That's significantly bigger than I guessed earlier and rules out the M4 sleeve and bolt.. Sorry to muck you about.

Sponsored Links
Found your posts most useful as I have the same problem with the connectors on my teak garden furniture. In my case the heads with hex socket like @Tristram had have mostly snapped off from the threaded part so the pivot still works but there is nothing now stopping the two wooden parts sliding apart off the pivot tube - so not too safe.

Much searching and I have eventually bought bright electro galvanised M6x17mm Joint Connector Nuts and M6x50mm Cross Dowel Bolts from Screwfix, both with hex socket heads, but they did not do the tube I needed as a sleeve over the threaded part of the bolt to make a good joint pivot. The shoulder on the Connector Nut is just under 9mm dia so I have ordered some tube on ebay with 9mm OD and 6mm ID (actually 3/8" and 16swg from Forwardmetals) - this should work if I cut to length.

Screwfix only sold packets of 50 of each so if anyone needs a few to repair one of their chairs give me a PM and I'll see what I can do to help.

[edit] Here are two of the new bits and part of the old.

Sponsored Links
Hi tates, did you have any luck with the bolts? I was busy sprucing up my garden furniture last month and was a bit overzealous tightening one of the bolts on the arm and managed to snap one :cry:

I would be very interested to know if you have any spare.

Thanks in advance

Hi tates, did you have any luck with the bolts? I was busy sprucing up my garden furniture last month and was a bit overzealous tightening one of the bolts on the arm and managed to snap one :cry:

I would be very interested to know if you have any spare.

Thanks in advance

Yes I managed to mend it. After buying all the bits I fully dismantled the chair and I found some of the parts were serviceable even. There was a mixture of alloy and steel bits (hence corrosion) and it was the alloy joint connector nuts that had suffered worse with the heads breaking off. The replacements are M6 thread bolts 50mm length (can easily cut down) and M6 nuts with 17mm long shaft (again can cut shorter with junior hacksaw). All electro zinc plated steel.

How many do you need ? Happy to send you some. Give us a PM.

Andy.

This is what I have bought

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back