Sliding Mitre Saw - LS1013L 260mm or LS1016L 260mm ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I’m looking to buy a sliding mitre saw and want one that will last and be accurate. I like solid well made tools that do the basics very well and don’t have too much plastic or fiddly bits. The makita saws seem to fit that bill. So I’m trying to decide whether to get the :

LS1013L 260mm – Which seems to be a tried and tested model? Most people say it’s very accurate. Has two guide bars instead four, less bells and whistles a bit noisier, lower fence but maybe simpler is better? How much of an issue is this low fence?

Or

LS1016L 260mm – Larger capacity, not as noisy, nice high fence more bells and whistles. But not great reviews on www.amazon.com , none on axminster.com and quite a few significant reductions around the place making me think all the bells and whistles might mean a botch job.

All advice appreciated , Cheers

Sponsored Links
As stated on another forum, the LS1016 as sold in the UK is made here (at Telford) and has only been available here for 12 to 15 months - so we got it after the initial teething issues were sorted out. The Chinese-made version was never imported into the EU

The bad reviews for the LS1016 on Amazon are all from the USA and are therefore to do with the Chinese-made model they originally got over there starting 3+ years ago (they still get theirs from China, only the build quality is now better). According to some more reliable USA forums Makita USA originally had quite a few issues with the LS1016 but has now sorted them out, however, they never issued a recall - so there are probably some old stock models with problems floating about over there.

The LS1013 is now out of production - so waiting for 6 months before you make a decision may leave you with no desision to make

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back