Sliding Roof Lantern

Well, as long as you're happy with it. Thanks for the update.

Design and architecturally, sorry but it's awful. It must surely be even worse once opened.

Sponsored Links
Rather harsh. It is very striking, it doesn't seem to sit very comfortably with existing house but it looks like quality work and certainly makes a change from most bog standard extensions.

Architecture is about how people use spaces, so surely by definition if all the people who use the space love it, then it's good architecture!
Visual design is a bit more objective, but it is in the eyes of the beholder!

Wow! That’s a showbiz roof! Bling bling... I really like that. For me the lantern sits a bit high, but I suppose that’s the opening mechanism.

I think a “convertible” house is a great idea. Kind of like roof bifolds....

Sponsored Links
I suspect that it won't look very good from the inside. There is the thickness of the roof plus that massive upstand and within a small ceiling area. So a large and deep hole in the roof before the actual lantern becomes visible.

Sitting in the tub chair sipping a Martini and then looking up won't be the experience it should be.

And for what? A lantern that slides open to give a hole in a small ceiling for less than two weeks a year, when most of the time it's shut and with the poor view.

But each to their own.

Rather harsh. It is very striking, it doesn't seem to sit very comfortably with existing house but it looks like quality work and certainly makes a change from most bog standard extensions.

But the OP won't be hovering around the roof admiring the copper. He'll be sitting under it or be looking at that massive black thing from the garden.

That copper will be green in a few weeks too

Have to say I don't get roof lanterns, especially opening ones, a bit like sunroofs in cars how often are they ever opened and as mentioned you just end up with a deep suntube. A big flat rooflight I kind of get but lanterns just look daft. As for a copper roof on a trad house extension it's peculiar.

It's clear the op had money to burn so good on them spredings the money about. I just hope they use local firms and shops to keep all that money in the local area. Unless of course it's london and I hope they spend it up north.

I also hope the op has taken out extra insurance on their very expensive traveler magnet roof.

It's clear the op had money to burn so good on them spredings the money about. I just hope they use local firms and shops to keep all that money in the local area.

Thanks, yes, local company.

But the OP won't be hovering around the roof admiring the copper. He'll be sitting under it or be looking at that massive black thing from the garden.

That copper will be green in a few weeks too

Copper is has not gone green as it has been treated to retain the finish.
Also, i will be "hovering around" as the upstairs windows are at waist level. So every time you go up the stairs it is the first thing you see out the window, hence using copper.

Well, as long as you're happy with it. Thanks for the update.

Design and architecturally, sorry but it's awful. It must surely be even worse once opened.

Thanks, i am happy with it, obviously you have zero experience with batten roll metal roofs, the upstand is required to make the roof waterproof....

As for a copper roof on a trad house extension it's peculiar.

Copper roof's are a traditional material... :)

Wish i hadn't bothered to be honest, was just trying to "finish" the thread as i know how frustrating it can be when a thread has no "end"
Don’t stress, im glad you came back to finish it off. My roof lights are flat ones and given some extra cash, I’d have had them open. And I’d have my roof in copper..... and get my car covered in artificial grass.

Wish i hadn't bothered to be honest, was just trying to "finish" the thread as i know how frustrating it can be when a thread has no "end"

Everyone has different tastes, the important thing is that you are happy with the end result.

Thanks for taking the time to post up the finished job.

Don’t stress, im glad you came back to finish it off. My roof lights are flat ones and given some extra cash, I’d have had them open. And I’d have my roof in copper..... and get my car covered in artificial grass.
pilsbury, leave the poor guy alone now, I think he's had enough.

pilsbury, leave the poor guy alone now, I think he's had enough.
:ROFLMAO:

Ps. Earned a bit of a bonus so went full bore.
2D12B0C0-A3C5-44BD-8EF3-BDF1A103B856.jpeg

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back