Sliding wardrobe doors???

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,

I'm new to the DIY game (a hobby forced upon me by her majesties finest) and have decided to attempt the task of fitting our sliding wardrobe doors. There are however a few obstacles I just don't know how to overcome.

I have a perfectly sized alcove W X 201cm, H X 219cm D X 94cm. The only problem with this is that at one end of the room the ceiling slopes. The height I have quoted is the height at where the ceiling stops sloping and becomes parallel once more. I was told I would need to make a frame of some sort to support the Sliding door's tracks. So my first question is how to do this properly taking into account the sloping ceiling.

I want doors to look part of the wall and to achieve this I am guessing a degree of accuracy is required. I shall try my best with that one but I know for a fact my walls are uneven.

My last hurdle are the skirting boards. How do I get a neat fit to the wall with the doors when my skirting boards are an inch or so off the wall?

Any help or tips would be hugely helpful because i am literally taking on this task having only ever put up a simple shelf.

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
what are your diy skills like what exactly have you made put up assembled ??

****edit ok just read you have no track record suggest you spend the next year working on projects getting bigger and bigger then when you feel confident and have the tools below come back again ***

i take it you have a workmate circular saw jigsaw hammer drill and hopefully a chop saw or at least a mitre saw

in general you need to find your track and doors to know what the minimum height you can use
its good practise to have a frame from 2x2" or similar at the floor at top off skirting level and at least an inch below the ceiling height to allow for deviations

Line the opening with mdf which will allow you to have a square and level opening to take the doors. Top timber should be at least 75 mm wide as the track to take sliding doors is around 80mm and you don't want it to twist.
Something like this?

Hello:
You can fix some angled ceiling brackets to the angled ceiling. These will give you somewhere to screw the top track so its parallel with the floor.
As far as the skirting problem is concerned, you can use wall/bottom liners. These are striker plates that you fix to the wall after you cut a 100mm section of skirting, they will allow the doors to close on to them. The skirting will butt up to them on the edge which will solve the problem and give you a neat finish
cant give any names as I don't want to spam, but if you google both angled ceiling brackets and wall liners you'll get all the info you need.
I hope this helps

Sponsored Links
Hello:
You can fix some angled ceiling brackets to the angled ceiling. These will give you somewhere to screw the top track so its parallel with the floor.
As far as the skirting problem is concerned, you can use wall/bottom liners. These are striker plates that you fix to the wall after you cut a 100mm section of skirting, they will allow the doors to close on to them. The skirting will butt up to them on the edge which will solve the problem and give you a neat finish
cant give any names as I don't want to spam, but if you google both angled ceiling brackets and wall liners you'll get all the info you need.
I hope this helps
Better late than never I suppose. :confused:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back