Sloping floors

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, i am new to this forum but hoping some of you guys can give me some advice.

The problem is this, pretty much all the floors on the upstairs of my property have some sort of slope. Some are more noticable than others. This was picked up on the survey of the property before we purchased it and the survey said that it was down to settlement of the property not long after it had been built. Now having done a rewire in the property i can say that the wooden floor seems to be in good condition and so do the joists underneath.

What i need to do is level the floors somehow and i am not really sure how to to it. I don't want to be ripping every floor upstairs up. Is there a way of laying some sort of wood over the top of the boards to level it up??? Obviously one end of the room may need thicker wood than the other. Am i on the right line of thinking here??

I can do the work, just not sure on the best method.

Any help is really appreciated.

Rob

Sponsored Links
Depending on what you want to use as floor-covering, I would suggest (if the sloop isn't that 'steep') using 3mm hardboard. Whit that you gradually tackle the sloop. (Not sure if this is suitable if you plan to have carpets down, the edges of the hardboard might damage your carpet in the long run?)

I had a similiar problem, my landing sloped down to one side by 18mm, after weighing up several options, I ripped up the old floor (chipboard) and screwed batons to the joists to get the level back. It worked out so well I leveled the bedroom as well, it was a pain cutting the chipboard flooring out mainly due to the pipework running all over the place and cutting up to the edge of the wall. But once it was all out, the level was easy to obtain.

The only problem with it is, once you start one job it leads to another. I had to fix the loose joist that the builders had cut too short. :mad: that took longer than the floor. :LOL:

karawara88 said:
I had a similiar problem, my landing sloped down to one side by 18mm, after weighing up several options, I ripped up the old floor (chipboard) and screwed batons to the joists to get the level back. It worked out so well I leveled the bedroom as well, it was a pain cutting the chipboard flooring out mainly due to the pipework running all over the place and cutting up to the edge of the wall. But once it was all out, the level was easy to obtain.

The only problem with it is, once you start one job it leads to another. I had to fix the loose joist that the builders had cut too short. :mad: that took longer than the floor. :LOL:

I have given this method some thought. It does however seem like quite a lot of work. Also i have noticed that some of the interior brick walls in my house are built directly on top of the floor boards. I think this is what has helped cause the slope in the first place.

Sponsored Links
I'm sorry to be reviving an old topic, but would really be interested if roblatus ever over come this issue?

I have a 3 bedroom house and each room has a sloping floor - all in the same direction which is towards the back corner of the house. I live in a semi-detached and I don't suspect the building of subsiding as I imagine my adjoining neighbour would have the same issue, but in the opposite direction? Though my neighbour's house has been heavily renovated....

It's an old house, around 1930's so we're talking the original floor boards here. All bumpy and different levels, but a noticeable slope

What's the best way to tackle the problem? All in one go? Room by room?
I imagine all in one go would be the best way to get a constant level, but this would probably mean moving out for a few weeks and emptying the entire upstairs to address the problem.

Can any one help?

Why. for goodness sake, if you are talking about a slope , do you not do the VERY OBVIOUS and say how many mm slope over how many m floor ?

Do you actually want people to have to tease this information from you ? It is quite important you know .

I'm sorry to be reviving an old topic, but would really be interested if roblatus ever over come this issue?

I have a 3 bedroom house and each room has a sloping floor - all in the same direction which is towards the back corner of the house. I live in a semi-detached and I don't suspect the building of subsiding as I imagine my adjoining neighbour would have the same issue, but in the opposite direction? Though my neighbour's house has been heavily renovated....

It's an old house, around 1930's so we're talking the original floor boards here. All bumpy and different levels, but a noticeable slope

I imagine all in one go would be the best way to get a constant level, but this would probably mean moving out for a few weeks and emptying the entire upstairs to address the problem.

Can any one help?

Basically what i did was to use strips of hardboard to raise the floor. Then put a layer of 18mm plywood over the old floor. It has definatley made the floor more even. If you could take up your old floor then it would be best to do so then pack the top of the joists with strips of hardboard. I could not do this as my house had a wall built on top of the existing floor boards. I did remove all skirting and re fixed though otherwise the skirting would have looked smaller. Hope this is of some help. I would ignore mountainwalkers comments personally as they are not very constructive.

Hi Rob
There is no easy solution to sloping floors and it's highly likely it is a form of settelment or movement in tth property.
There are things you can do, some better than others but it will cost. Ground floor level is relatively straight forward but 1st floor is a nightmare and epxensive. Live with it or get a bank loan!!

Hello, i am new to this forum but hoping some of you guys can give me some advice.

The problem is this, pretty much all the floors on the upstairs of my property have some sort of slope. Some are more noticable than others. This was picked up on the survey of the property before we purchased it and the survey said that it was down to settlement of the property not long after it had been built. Now having done a rewire in the property i can say that the wooden floor seems to be in good condition and so do the joists underneath.

What i need to do is level the floors somehow and i am not really sure how to to it. I don't want to be ripping every floor upstairs up. Is there a way of laying some sort of wood over the top of the boards to level it up??? Obviously one end of the room may need thicker wood than the other. Am i on the right line of thinking here??

I can do the work, just not sure on the best method.

Any help is really appreciated.

Rob

Can any one help?

Basically what i did was to use strips of hardboard to raise the floor. Then put a layer of 18mm plywood over the old floor. It has definatley made the floor more even. If you could take up your old floor then it would be best to do so then pack the top of the joists with strips of hardboard. I could not do this as my house had a wall built on top of the existing floor boards. I did remove all skirting and re fixed though otherwise the skirting would have looked smaller. Hope this is of some help. I would ignore mountainwalkers comments personally as they are not very constructive.

Thanks for responding Rob.
I'll ignore mountainwalker "bash". Every forum has someone like him so it's water off a ducks back these days.

This will take some more planning, but knowing people have had some success with this method is encouraging!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back