slow computer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi, my cooling fan , i think, has slowed and may not be cooling as it should, would this slow my laptop down almost to a stop ? as though my internet was 20 yrs old ? seems to work better after it cooled down.....

Sponsored Links
I sit it it on the settee arm which is nearly as wide as the laptop, leather and gets hot, i can't seem to hear the fan like i used to. the next door grand kids come round with their tablets, phone, all run off their internet,from next door,without a problem.... (as do i) i have a booster which picks up the internet but still have a problem on my laptop...

Saw a useful tip somewhere, use an egg tray between lap or sofa and the lap top.

eggs.jpg

Remove eggs before use :mrgreen:

Sponsored Links
I sit it it on the settee arm which is nearly as wide as the laptop, leather and gets hot, i can't seem to hear the fan like i used to. the next door grand kids come round with their tablets, phone, all run off their internet,from next door,without a problem.... (as do i) i have a booster which picks up the internet but still have a problem on my laptop...

Well then place it on something that will not heat up like a plastic tray or a wooden tray. You can actually buy trays for laptops if you like using them at all angles https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_s...l=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=laptop+tray

It may be that the fan is heavily clogged with fluff or as you indicate it's given up. In which case get your grandkids to have a look inside, you'll have to unscrew a fair bit to get at the fan.

also you need the feet off the laptop to give an airspace off the surface to allow airflow for cooling
laying a laptop on something soft will stop that airflow
you will have the exit vents for the airflow to exit but you may have several entry points [vents]where the air is drawn in over components or areas that need to be cooled with the air drawn to the exit vent so a bit off mdf/ply or hardboard the size off the laptop on the arm may help
maybe even a tray or chopping board will work

Last edited:
Back