Slow-filling toilet tank with leak

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My sister's toilet flushes fine but it's taking forever for the tank to refill. I had a look at it today and there is water spraying out of the side of the inlet valve. The system she has is just like this one: http://www.toolstation.com/images/library/stock/webbig/54478.jpg - the leak is from the back of the screw-on bit on the top left of the picture. I unscrewed it, expecting the washer to look knackered, but it looked fine.

Is the problem still likely to just be the washer, or would I be better off replacing the whole thing? Any advice would be very appreciated :)

Sponsored Links
Could be dirt in it, causing a blockage and making the water spurt out from where it shouldn't.

Turn water off.Take the large screw off and dismantle the valve/diaphragm, CAREFULLY remembering which way it came apart. Clean the components. Whilst the valve and diaphragm are removed, turn the water on for one second to blow out any obstructions from the main body of the valve.

My brother has one of these, and it needs clearing out once a year.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back