sludge cleaner

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

Need some advice with regards to a problem I have.
I phoned a plumber about a couple of pipes in the central heating which are not getting hot and he said to pour sentinel 400 into the system which will save me having to pay him to come out.

However after looking at the instructions for that item of course it has to go in the pipes but how do you do that? Also how do you drain the system after it's been in for 4 weeks (recommended length of time) when our system has no drain off point?

I have noticed at the top of a couple of the radiators there is a big silver nuts (on a single panel raidiator) can I just drain that radiator and then take that nut out and pour it in there and then turn three heating back on?

Any help anyone can give would be most appreciate :)

Thanks

Drew

Sponsored Links
if you undo one nut from one radiator, water will gush out until all the pipes and radiators above it, including the F&E tank, are empty.

Search around your system for a drain cock. It should be at or about the lowest point of the system. It might be close to the boiler or it might have ben conveniently positioned near to a downstairs outside door so that you can put a hosepipe through it.

drain cocks usually leak so have a good supply of basins and old towels. If the perished remains of a rubber washer fall out, fit a new one.

you have to tie up the float in the F&E tank before starting to drain.

Bale out all the mud from the F&E and sponge it clean before starting to drain.

some typical drain cocks:
ae235

ae235

you can also drain it by unscrewing a rad valve but this will let a lot of water out. Fit a drain cock or two before refilling.

Sponsored Links
if you undo one nut from one radiator, water will gush out until all the pipes and radiators above it, including the F&E tank, are empty.

Search around your system for a drain cock. It should be at or about the lowest point of the system. It might be close to the boiler or it might have ben conveniently positioned near to a downstairs outside door so that you can put a hosepipe through it.

drain cocks usually leak so have a good supply of basins and old towels. If the perished remains of a rubber washer fall out, fit a new one.

you have to tie up the float in the F&E tank before starting to drain.

Bale out all the mud from the F&E and sponge it clean before starting to drain.

some typical drain cocks:
ae235

ae235

you can also drain it by unscrewing a rad valve but this will let a lot of water out. Fit a drain cock or two before refilling.

Well I'd agree about the drain points but there are no drain points anywhere on the system :(

Close both valves on the smallest rad, drain it down by cracking the union nut on one of the valves then add the x400 into the rad and top the system up and vent the rad.

Close both valves on the smallest rad, drain it down by cracking the union nut on one of the valves then add the x400 into the rad and top the system up and vent the rad.

Ok I'm happy draining it that way but how do I pour it in when the hole is then at the bottom of the radiator, it will just come straight out. Hence why I mentioned the big silver nut at the top, sorry no idea what that is call

Undo the vent plug and either buy a filling kit from screwfix or you can make a filling device out of a funnel,piece of hose pipe and copperpipe and a isolation valve ;)

Well that would get the cleaner in, but the system will still need draining later.
I do not believe that there is no drain point.
Look harder.
It may be included near a radiator valve.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back