Sludge in the system

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Two comments I have read on here are running through my head.
One was that before adding inhibitor to the system its a good idea to add cleanser for a couple of weeks to loosen up the sludge.
The other was that new boilers hate dirt.
Won't loosening up the dirt and running the system for a couple of weeks enable sludge to travel to the boiler?

Sponsored Links
My understanding is that the cleanser should disolve the sludge in such a way that it won't 'stick' in the pipework, so when you then drain it down to empty it out you get 'liquified' sludge out...

There is a huge difference in price between brands cleanser and inhibitor.
Why does one cost £25 and another £10?

if your talking of a boiler swap scenario, then ideally you add x400 ? 4/3/2/1 weeks before job...so its running on the old boiler

Sponsored Links
Each brand will have a slightly different makeup, which might work better than others, or might not. Price differences are inevitable.

I went with Fernox (F3 cleanser and F1 protector) when doing my system (I drained and refilled adding the cleanser last weekend, and have just drained, refilled to flush any remaining cleanser (this step probably wasn't necessary, but I wanted to be thorough), drained again, and refilled adding the protector) - I chose Fernox as I'd read a few posts recommending it, so thought it would probably be a good one to go for.

I got them from B&Q, but then got B&Q to price match the local Screwfix trade counter using their price guarantee, since I discovered afterwards that Screwfix was under half the price on both...

X400 does not dissolve sludge! It needs 4-5 weeks in the system!

One wonders how long you spent in the queue at a B&Q to get their refund. Thats how long in the queue at first and then how long to explain to the assistant whose home language is not English for her to understand what you are asking and then how long for her to wait for a duty manager and then to explain to him what you are complaining about.

If I didn't buy at the lowest price then I would only blame myself and not waste my time hanging about in an unfriendly environment. Kevin who used to be the manager at my local B&Q was a very rude person! By chance I have mended boilers for both his cousin and for the new manager!

Tony

Amazingly, no queue, and the (friendly) person I spoke to sorted it out there and then, didn't need to get authorisation or anything and no questions asked. I ended up getting ~£20 back (the difference plus an extra 10%, as that's B&Qs price promise).

If it had been a few quid I wouldn't have bothered, but £20 is a good few pints ;), and as I was going in anyway to grab something else, I thought I'd give it a go. As I hadn't actually opened either of them at that stage, if they hadn't done the price promise, I'd have just returned them for a refund, and then gone to Screwfix (as even with the extra petrol cost, I'd still have been saving well over £15)...

Evidently some B&Qs outside London can be quite reasonable! I was well impressed with the B&Q in Telford but thats 125 miles from London!

The Cricklewood branch is a pretty aweful place, no stock control, no intelligent staff to speak to and the staff usually spend their time chatting and trying to avoid customers! Thats when they are not smoking outside at the back!

Their staff turnover is high as a result of the low moral.

Even though the old manager was very rude, I gather he got £10k-£15k more per annum when he moved to Builder Depot and took the best staff with him! ( The best of a bad bunch! )

You cannot complain about managers at B&Qs because they are seen as some kind of prima donnas and the Directors of B&Q dont communicate with customers! Screwfix is the same! You have to send a recorded letter to the home of the MD as anything else is infiltrated by their staff.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back