Slugs and snails

• Thread starter Caoineadhcuchulainn515
  • Start date
C

Caoineadhcuchulainn515

Is it actualy phisicaly possible to get rid of these loathsome pests? I have heard about the following " definately will work" methods. Soot , sand , copper wire , beer (but that could have been me during one of my mid-night alcoholic ramblings ) and even newspaper. I know there is no certain way to get rid of these , ( if there was , they would be a millionaire ) but surely there must be a more effective way?

Sponsored Links
slugs_allies.jpg

these work very well if the p****s do not get them

if you are trying to rid your garden entirely of them, then the answer is surely 'no, you can't'. and i am not sure why you would want to try. but there are ways of controlling their behaviour on a smaller scale. for instance, a couple of years ago I got a coldframe --- at first everything in there got destroyed by slugs. but since I put it on about 2'' of gravel, there hasn't been any damage at all. when i first started growing vegetables i used to use slug pellets, but about 2 years ago stopped and I don't think the slug damage is any worse for it.

Sponsored Links
Hi i have heard instead of using pellets substitute these for bran flakes there alot cheaper and last longer mate..

the nematodes freddy mentioned work very well if its for a specific bed of hostas or similar.

I`m watching you , farts drain :evil: . I have a sophisticated slug trap - it`s a beer trap - and next to it I have a miniature urinal :eek: The slugs go for a beer - then when they go for a p iss I trap em in the urinal and flush them away down the drain - I use rainwater in an old WC cistern . I`m thinking of patenting the setup :eek:
Many a time I`ve enjoyed a boorsron clay wrapped and cooked over my yog .

I'm sure there is a reason why you won't use slug pellets. What is it?

I stopped using slug pellets when they poisoned my dog.

Since then, I've tried the beer trap method, although I haven't fitted the corresponding urinal, I thought that the idea was that they drowned in the beer ??!!

I saw a programme about a fantastic garden and they asked the lady who's garden it was how she controlled slugs and snails. She said that the best method was to provide them with hiding places ( overturned stones or slates) and then each day she checked them and disposed of the slugs and snails hiding there.

I have used that method and also, in summer I go out at night after it's just gone dark and you would be amazed how many appear; it's then a simple matter of scooping them up and disposing of them.

If I could get a homing hedgehog I would, whenever they've appeared in my garden they seem to disappear within days !!

i know of someone who claims to go out at night --- especially if it's damp --- with a miner's style headlamp and a pair of scissors...... well, you can guess the rest.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back