Small cracks in new skim

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Just a quick question. We have the plaster in at the moment skimming the whole house. On the first room he has done I have noticed hairline cracks around the velux. Is this normal? Could this be down to the fact the sun was shining on these bits so they have dried too quick??

If so will it still be ok to decorate over it? They aren't large cracks and its the only place this has happened in.

Thanks in advance,
Jimmy

Sponsored Links
On the first room he has done I have noticed hairline cracks around the velux. Is this normal? Could this be down to the fact the sun was shining on these bits so they have dried too quick??

If so will it still be ok to decorate over it? They aren't large cracks and its the only place this has happened in.

Maybe post a pic ? Would help in any feedback to you

Sponsored Links
No not normal but could be any number of reasons including drying out too quickly; presumably it's plasterboard, are these newly installed Velux windows? Is this a new loft conversion?

If existing, were there any cracks around them before?

Hi thanks for the reply. Yes its all new plasterboard. Its not a new loft conversion (has been like that since we moved in). We just had the velux made bigger and its the plasterboard around the inside of this thats causing the problem.

It could be the way in which the plasterboard was cut & fitted around the Velux, are they vertical/horizontal from the Velux or at an angle from the corners? Do the cracks follow any joint lines in the PB that you can remember?

As stated pics are usually a good idea.

The plasterboard is diagonal. Its just 4 small strips around the inside of the frame, no joins where the cracks are. The cracks run more or less straight from one edge of the board to the other.

They are only tiny hair like cracks so don't know if I am making a deal out of nothing.

Hope that makes sense. Will try and get some pics up later.

It needs scraping off and re-doing. Not a big job. Just point it out to the guy and he'll sort in in no time. He probably hasn't noticed it.

Is the angle bead showing through or are they indentations ? ie can you feel hollows with your finger?

I think you were right about the effects of the sun, looks like it’s crazed due to drying out too quickly; the PB may also have been warm due to the sun & this would have just made things worse. Filler may work but I doubt it & the plaster may not have stuck to the PB too well either. It really needs to come off or at least be very well keyed, just skimming over the top will most likely see the cracks show through again & they will show through just paint.

I also agree with Micilin & would put money on that being the outline of the angle bead we can see; if it's steel, it could be just the effects of the heat or he's been very mean with the skim coat. :LOL:

Thanks for the replies. Yes it looks like the bead is showing through, so guess it probably is him just being a bit tight, lol.

Will have a word with him tomorrow and see what he says.

Also just noticed that there is a fairly large crack where he reboarded a wall a re hung the rad (looks like the board is struggling with the weight of the rad). I know its an old house and non the of walls are flat etc but I dont think that thats any excuse for these couple of things.

Oh well conversation will have to be had.

Thanks for the advice.

The rad shouldn't held up by the board, it should be held up by the wall behind.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back