Small leak from Automatic Air Vent on Ideal Mini C boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have notice a small drop of water from the automatic air vent on my boiler which is a Ideal Mini C, the auto vent cap is loose. Would it be OK to close this and vent it from time to time for air, or does it need replacing?

Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
It should normally be "just loose".

I normally suggest that if leaking it is closed and then replaced on the next service.

After installation only a little air becomes trapped at the AAV as the radiators offer a much larger volume to trap air.

Tony

It should normally be "just loose".

I normally suggest that if leaking it is closed and then replaced on the next service.

After installation only a little air becomes trapped at the AAV as the radiators offer a much larger volume to trap air.

Tony

Tony,

Thank you for the reply, a bit of a daft question, would be safe to close the valve until spring next year when the engineer is next due, as in will it cause pressure build up or what hapens to the trapped air?

Many thanks

Providing that you dont go changing rads it will make no difference.

But for your peace of mind open it every couple of months.

Many are ( wrongly ) closed by installers at installation time.

Tony

Sponsored Links
Providing that you dont go changing rads it will make no difference.

But for your peace of mind open it every couple of months.

Many are ( wrongly ) closed by installers at installation time.

Tony

Hi Tony,

Once again thanks for your advice, much appreciated. Just one final question, if I want to leave it vented, how much should I open it my? Is 1/4 to 1/2 turn enough?

Many thanks

I always tell people to close it until they just start to feel a little resistance.

Its not important or critical but if its mostly closed any weeping will not turn into a massive river.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back