Automatic air vent leaking dirty water

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, my IDEAL ISAR HE35 boiler has started leaking dirty water, its coming from the hole in the top of the automatic air vent. Any quick fix ideas? And if not does it require a new AAV, and does that require gas engineer works? Thanks all

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
upload_2020-2-23_18-22-7.png
Its coming out the hole at the top

There should be a cap or a screw in it and that can be screwed down but you really shouldn't be in there as that AAV is inside the room sealed case isn't it? Really needs to be a GSR to be in there.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
As above, you shouldn't even be removing the casing unless you're Gas Safe Registered.

When you say casing what do you mean. The silver front panel that covers the top 2/3rds of the boiler? I have isolated water and gas, drained system was going to complete the repair then get it all tested and re-comissioned at the end. But really cant see how you get to the bottom of the AAV to un screw it without removing the combustion chamber and burner. Even with the flue manifold loose and removed it will impossible to get to

When you say casing what do you mean. The silver front panel that covers the top 2/3rds of the boiler?

Yes

was going to complete the repair then get it all tested and re-comissioned at the end.
would find it difficult as gas regs prohibit an engineer signing off other peoples work.

But really cant see how you get to the bottom of the AAV to un screw it without removing the combustion chamber and burner. Even with the flue manifold loose and removed it will impossible to get to

A gas engineer, or an ideal fixed price repair engineer would know how.

Ok ill get a GSR engineer in. Does anyone know the part number for the AAC for this boiler? (ideal Isar HE35)

Daft question, but if you're getting an engineer in, why does that matter?

because im ordering the part so its ready for him to fit, my mates a GSR engineer and it will save time if i order the part so he can change it when he gets here. We have no hot water or heating and its freezing.

If your mates a GSR then surely he could have ordered it by now? He'd probably get it quicker and cheaper for you too (y)

Why didn't you ask your mate before taking the cover off the boiler, taking pictures and putting them on plumbing forum?

Sounds fishy to me.

Andy

Sounds fishy i didnt realise i wernt aloud to take the cover off, hence me asking if im aloud to remove it or if it requires, after your feedback i have since contacted my friend whos gonna do the work. Im going city plumbing on the way home to get the part. Read the whole feed before piping up

The trouble is that we have a lot of people come onto the forum asking questions or that are already involved with gas work and/or into areas that only a gas engineer should really be (as they have the equipment and experience to then perform the proper checks and ensure everything is safe once the work is complete).

We are not allowed to give advice on these types of questions as there is a potential for liability or blame to boomerang when it all goes wrong. That is why a lot of the professionals on the forum are sometimes skeptical in these circumstances, unfortunately it's a case of once bitten ......

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back