small question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone, just signed up as I am in the process of purchasing my first property. I am probably going to start doing some DIY so this website should help

just a quick question. I am purchasing a ground floor masionette and currently the fuseboard is in a cupboard which is situated in the bathroom. Is this ok?

Cheers

Sam

Sponsored Links
very undesirable

the cupboard should be fastened shut so that it cannot be opened without the use of a tool (this includes a key if the cupboard is locked)

I think you should budget for some electrical modificatios if you buy this home. It is likely there will be other undesirable practices, if the person did this one.

thanks for your response, I will bear this in mind. I was thinking of getting an eletrician to look over the place before everything goes through. how much should it cost for someone to look over the place do you think?

Sam

Forum rules prevent pricing of jobs but you can ask an electrician to give you a visual condition report, which is what it says a visual inspection only & a bit like a homebuyers report from a surveyor and roughly an hours work.

Or you could have a Period Iinspection Report PIR carried out which will be 2 to 4 hours work depending on the state of the electrics this is comparable to a full structural survey and you'll get a comprehensive report.

It's your choice - I would advise PIR

Don't employ any company that offers a 'free' inspection as they will looking to find nitpicking problems to get work.

Sponsored Links
apologies, I will not ask for prices again

thanks for this information, I will try and find some electricians in the area for this

Sam

i have just called an electrician who is going to do a PIR for me and for a reasonable price for 3-4 hours work. should give me some piece of mind/bargaining power

cheers

Sam

Good luck Sam - go for price reduction for any remedials found in PIR rather than vendor putting right before completion

if the PIR is comprehensive and done properly (no short cuts) I would think that 4 hours net would be a reasonable time (I am not talking about 1 bedroom flat).

it is a 2 bedroom masionette so its not massive. The price I have got is not based on hours, it is a flat cost. I had put some cash aside for this kinda stuff and its in budget so I am happy

thanks for your advice and stuff guys

Sam

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back