Small roof leak

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I was up in the loft during ones of this weeks torrential downpours. I spotted a small wet patch on the loft flooring about the size of a 50p coin. Anyway looking directly above there is a hole in the roof lining the whole was wet to touch.

Looking outside I can see no missing or slipped tiles on the roof, my question is should I be concerned? Is this what the roof lining is for, to prevent water ingress in extreme weather? The only thing I can see is that the ridge pointing looks old, perhaps some water is getting in there and running down the roof lining to the hole?

Cheers

Andy

Sponsored Links
Hi,

I was up in the loft during ones of this weeks torrential downpours. I spotted a small wet patch on the loft flooring about the size of a 50p coin. Anyway looking directly above there is a hole in the roof lining the whole was wet to touch.

Looking outside I can see no missing or slipped tiles on the roof, my question is should I be concerned? Is this what the roof lining is for, to prevent water ingress in extreme weather? The only thing I can see is that the ridge pointing looks old, perhaps some water is getting in there and running down the roof lining to the hole?

Cheers

Andy

Yep, you've kind of answered your own question. It could be getting in at the mortar and running down and finding its way through the hole. You may not be able to see a crack in a tile from downstairs. Is there a roofer you know of or someone could recommend you to get up there and take a look?

Till then, shove a bucket under the hole. It will probably take weeks to even fill slightly. Enough time to get it checked out :)

Yeah I was suspecting as much, coincidently I just had a guy out to clear the gutters - there was loads of bits of mortar in them on closer inspection I can see gaps between the ridge and roof tiles around the back. Hes quoted me £150 to repoint them, fair price?

Cheers

Well I don't know if you live in a tiny house or a palace, lol

Just try and get him to lift the tiles and re-bed them with mortar, rather than just buttering them with a trowel. :)

Sponsored Links
Good point, its a 2 bed terrace maybe 10 tiles.

I asked if he would rebed rather than just touch up, his reply was hed do his best to remove them and rebed them but its not allways possible to remove them without breaking tiles, in which case hed repoint.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back