small tenement roof works - all at one time

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I've got a leak in my roof and hopping to get a company to fix it. It is a tenements so a scaffolding will be needed and therefore the cost is predicted to be sky hight to do any work. Luckily the cost will be split between all inhabitants but nevertheless it is not cheap per flat either.

The tenement looks similar to this one:
https://maps.google.com/maps?q=eh16...d=qQse3iEn2ZYBSmznQ8oxfA&cbp=12,204.4,,0,5.17

As said, a lot of the cost is to put up full scaffolding and that is why it makes me think - what else should be done to the roof so it can be done at the same time.

I was thinking of:
- guttering (just to clean them through)
- soffits (possibly to paint them)?
- possibly painting external window trims?

What would you recommend to look into getting inspected/fixed at the time the scaffolding is up?

How do I tell if the soffits require fixing or if anything has to be done to the guttering?

Any advise is highly appreciated!

Sponsored Links
Ridges, verges,skylight velux windows,Soffits, fascia,guttering (roofline) Leadwork, chimneyheads, weathering slates for extractors, svp's, overflows etc.

A scaffold to work on the facade of the building will need fully boarded therefore more £££.

Have you considered a cherry picker?

Thanks for that!

How important are soffits to be in a good condition? Is this only for decoration or do they serve any other purpose?

Sponsored Links
The same as any external woodwork the soffit plate should be kept maintained.
It will be either 9mm ply or similar or on older properties was asbestos board.

The soffit unless the roof was constructed to be open rafters is to close off the roofspace.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back