Small utility

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Considering the layout below, where do you think is a best place to squeeze in a small utility (washing machine, dryer + a few boxes)?
I had an idea to create an entrance to the garage via the understairs WC, then build a wall to separate garage from the new utility, but I worry it will get really cramped. Also the door will be adjacent to the perpendicular wall, so not sure how to fit a lintel in this case (chisel in a Grove in the garage back wall?).
Another idea would be to enter from the living room, but for some undefined reason I don't like it.
Ideally, I'd put it somewhere around the side entrance from the garden to the kitchen, but again no good place...
Screenshot_20240110_001303.jpg

Sponsored Links
What about a door between the bottom of the stairs and front door?

Thanks, I thought about it, but there's 3 problems :
1) the space between first step of the staircase and the front wall is probably only a bit wider than door opening, so again a problem with getting the lintel to sit right
2) the new utility would cut the garage in half with the remaining bit being under 1m, so not useful for much
3) the garage door is of up and over type, so would need to replace it with shutter type

So if there isn't the head height to get a door in the little cupboard if you want a utility in the garage you can have a door off the living room or through the toilet, moving the basin to be opposite the bog, the utility will be as cramped or spacious as you want, depending on where the you build the new wall. There's really not that much to consider is there?

Sponsored Links
With the door in the loo, the main consideration (apart from aesthetics) is how to sit the lintel. To fit, the doorframe needs to be right next to the perpendicular load bearing wall, so I'll need to chisel out a hole in the load bearing wall to get the minimum 150mm sitting offset. Can you see any problems with that?
Also, is it acceptable to have the door opening towards the garage?

Last edited:
DO you actually know which are the loadbearing walls? 100mm bearing will be fine in anycase, the door can open into the garage, you're existing garage personnel door will be retained and will be within the new utility presumably?

I used the term 'load bearing' very loosely here - it seemed to be based on direction of the joists but might have got it wrong. The existing personal door to the garage will be retained and within the new utility. Another door, through the new utility wall would be added to access the remaining part of the garage.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back