Smart meter fitting - Problems

No issues at all working safely in those cut-outs, it's just that some of the MOPs and suppliers take an ultra cautious approach (we think in the hope that the DNO will do the work for them FOC).

There are types of metal clad cut-outs that work is banned on by us for a number of reasons, the rest it is up to our staff to make a risk assessment before starting work.

They were mainly used in council estates one type actually incorporating a CU.

Sponsored Links
Surprised they havent asked for an EICR before they change the meter, I had to do one just yesterday.

Wow never knew that some MOPS where not allowed to work on metal cutouts.

I like working on the type shown above (I know it as a biscuit tin type cutout) because I can sit the meter smack on top hiding all tails into the meter.

I think it looks neater that way.

I can see where there may be problems with the older Iron clad cutouts fitted around the 1920's/30's as you have to lift the front cover slightly to open them and we have had a case where a lad caught 2 phases with the lid when opening it.

Any cutout is dangerous if not worked on correctly IMO, can't see why you could work on one type and not another.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back