Smart Motorways

Only a fool breaks the two second rule.

If folk stuck to this, many road incidents would be less severe or wouldn't happen in the first place.

Sponsored Links
If you can stop safely in the distance you can see to be clear, then you aren't going too fast. If you can't, then you are going to fast.

A safe speed is not a number, its based on what you can/can't see.

Oh yeah, I agree 100%.

I've said before I very rarely go above 60 on motorways (I'll just find a safe gap in lane one and match my speed to a HGV). This allows me to react in good time to almost anything I've encountered. I guarantee you I'll see drivers speeding far too fast into situations this evening, bringing about a 'concertina' effect.

It takes some people a long time to realise, but once you've learnt to leave a safe gap your driving skill takes a huge leap forward.

I would describe myself as a very well-trained, experienced, and exceptionally safe driver, but to be honest, those Smart Motorways scare the hell out of me. I don't have any concerns about me running into the rear of a stopped vehicle, because my obs are first-rate, rather my concern is one of breaking down, and have some numskull run into me.

They do me, too. It takes a good driver to read the road ahead and not focus on what's happening solely with the car in front of them.

Oh yeah, I agree 100%.

I've said before I very rarely go above 60 on motorways (I'll just find a safe gap in lane one and match my speed to a HGV). This allows me to react in good time to almost anything I've encountered. I guarantee you I'll see drivers speeding far too fast into situations this evening, bringing about a 'concertina' effect.

It takes some people a long time to realise, but once you've learnt to leave a safe gap your driving skill takes a huge leap forward.
I don't know why it takes them a long time to realise, surely keeping a safe distance will be covered during their lessons. Surely it's common sense? I popped out today and was driving along a fairly long stretch of road, 40 limit. There was a car coming the other way that looked as though it was doing around the limit. Behind it was another car. Those were the only two cars on that side, nothing front or back of them.

For some reason, the second car had decided to settle maybe 10 feet or so from the car in front. I'll never get my head around this. Why not settle two or three times that distance. I know that 'boy racers' sometimes do this intentionally i.e. out with their mates and they drive in a close convoy formation, however 9/10 it's not that scenario. It's simply a tailgater that's either oblivious to what they're doing and/or they're trying to intimidate the car in front to speed up.

Sponsored Links
I don't know why it takes them a long time to realise, surely keeping a safe distance will be covered during their lessons. Surely it's common sense? I popped out today and was driving along a fairly long stretch of road, 40 limit. There was a car coming the other way that looked as though it was doing around the limit. Behind it was another car. Those were the only two cars on that side, nothing front or back of them.

For some reason, the second car had decided to settle maybe 10 feet or so from the car in front. I'll never get my head around this. Why not settle two or three times that distance. I know that 'boy racers' sometimes do this intentionally i.e. out with their mates and they drive in a close convoy formation, however 9/10 it's not that scenario. It's simply a tailgater that's either oblivious to what they're doing and/or they're trying to intimidate the car in front to speed up.

I've gone over it in my head over and over and cannot work it out. It's so bizarre....

Over time I've just put it down to two types of drivers. There are those who just want to get in front, and will make it clear by tailgating -- doesn't matter what they're driving, they just want to make it clear you are in their way. There are then the 'ditzy' drivers who just seem to have their target destination in mind, and all other thinking capacity is just dedicated to getting there. Moronic but the "innocent" one out of the two.

It is covered in learning to drive but because you are with an instructor, (unless you're with your dad/mum/uncle etc), then they won't let you get within that distance so you tend to forget about it.
People tend to forget about the rule until something happens to them. Either they have to brake hard or someone runs into the back of them. Then it pops into their head, "Oh yeah, maybe I should leave a bigger gap like the 2 second rules says."
Sometimes it's too late to remember it.

Only a fool breaks the two second rule.

If folk stuck to this, many road incidents would be less severe or wouldn't happen in the first place.
All well and good...

But would you care to tell us the volume of traffic on the roads today compared to the 1970's when that saying first came in?
(Hint: less than a third of today)

And what was the death rate per annum then compared to today?
(Hint: almost 8,000 deaths compared to just over 1,200 now)

Safety has many guises, namely improved car design/seat belts/braking systems/airbags etc etc...

'Smart' motorways are a regression, and the two second rule doesn't apply when coming across a stationary car in a motorway lane whilst traveling at the legal limit of 70mph !

'Smart' motorways are a regression, and the two second rule doesn't apply when coming across a stationary car in a motorway lane whilst traveling at the legal limit of 70mph !
No? Really?!? Heck, I learn something new every day on this forum.

At 70mph the 2 second rule becomes 3.1 seconds. Not much, but enough, in the best conditions, to be a possible life saver.

Last edited:
You can be pretty near 100% sure the vehicle in front won't stop dead, on an mway, so your real distance to brake in is a lot more than from you to him.
2 seconds is a fair guide imho.

"Always be able to stop in the distance that you can see to be clear" covers that one. Why is anyone travelling at 70mph if they don't have enough visibility of clear road to be able to stop safely when there is something in the carriageway?

Sponsored Links
Back