Smart TVs - recording on memory stick

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The instructions for the Samsung Series 5 Smart TV suggest that recordings should only be made on a USB portable hard drive unit, and they seem to discourage the use of memory sticks for that purpose.

As many members may have treated themselves to a Smart TV for Christmas, I just want to put on record that I have had complete success in recording on memory sticks. In fact I now keep one plugged in and record whenever I want, or book in a future recording from the programme guide. However, an 8GB memory stick holds only 3 hours of non-HD, so the bigger the better - they're so cheap nowadays.

It is important to have one with the best possible read and write speed. There's a very good website, www.usbspeed.nirsoft.net which lists actual speeds rather than those claimed by manufacturers.

The stick will be formatted by the TV at the first use. Occasionally after formatting you will get a message saying that it is too slow to use. If you switch off, remove the stick, switch back on, insert the stick and then run a speed test (Tools), it is often fine from then on!

Perhaps others can share their experiences here, as to which sticks they have found OK for the purpose. I have had success with SanDisk Cruzer and Integral Neon - but they MUST be USB 2.0, NOT 3.0.

USB sticks are also an excellent way of showing your photos and videos on the TV.

Alec

Sponsored Links
Transcend Jetflash 770 16 Gb memory stick passes the Samsung smart tv test as fast enough to record and seems to do so reliably. I have also had success with a SDHC card mounted in a usb card reader. If using SD cards, use class 6 or higher. Despite what some people say, you can use a usb 3.0 device, although the tv will probably only use in in usb 2.0 mode. Note that write speeds may be lower in usb 2.0 mode and in any case the manufacturer's claimed write speed is a maximum, and what matters is the write speed that can be maintained over the length of the recording.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back