SMC admiral Pump

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone, first post - be gentle please.

The heating system in my house is a hybrid of under floor heating (on ground floor) and upstairs radiators. It was installed by an amateur (although by repute a skilled engineer in another field!). It comprises - a 90k BTU oil boiler connected to a brazed home made manifold (with a spur for the upstairs radiators (3, about 5KW total)). The returns from the UFH circuits (8) arrive to another manifold back to the boiler via a pump. The flow rates seem to be controlled on the return circuits simply by ball valves (they are all in slightly different positions of 'open/close'. It would make some sense that the UFH circuits are reasonably similar in size/capacity - I talked to a neighbour who was 'around' when the installation was underway. Of course I have no documentation whatsoever.

My problem is:

I changed out a radiator upstairs (leak). I drained down the system (the new radiator was a different size and I need to redo some pipework). There was a couple of weeks gap between draining the system and installing the radiator. (it was a cast model my other half wanted and it took some time to paint and transport - and get upstairs). When I refilled the system I found that the pump no longer worked!! I tried a direct feed from the mains (nothing - did not even get warm - at a guess - no current draw). The start capacitor seems OK - no swelling or failure points. The connections seem good. The pump is a SMC admiral - green colour. There are no bleed points or facility to try and turn the spindle that I can see. I have tried to 'give it a belt' as a last resort but that made no difference.

Questions:

Before taking it out (this looks non trivial with lots of hemp and BSP taper fitted pipe section floating about) is there anything else worth attempting before the stillson attack?

I have been unable to find much about this pump on the net - only on the Grundfos site -they suggest that their Alpha 2L is a suitable replacement. If have to replace the pump - quite likely I expect, is this a feasible substitute. I am aware that for UFH circuits pipe losses can be quite high and flow rate requirements considerable. The only useful info written on the old pump is a maximum current draw of .7 amps which equates to 161w. However given that modern pumps must be at least 50% more efficient this may not be a definitive guide.

Many thanks in advance for any help or suggestions - or just even for reading this.

Best regards

Sponsored Links
SMC pumps are terrible things with very little power, swap it for a Grundfos and all will be well

I`m amazed that an old SMC was still going at all :LOL: not surprised it died when you drained the system - it must have been in 40 years ;)

Sponsored Links
Sealed Motor Company pumps should only be seen on the Antiques Roadshow. They were based in the South West, IIRC.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back