Smell in bedroom. Gas like but not gas

Sponsored Links
Andy could be right :idea: . . - certainly worth a look . overheating cables do smell strange - maybe ask in the electrics forum

Andy could be right :idea: . . - certainly worth a look . overheating cables do smell strange - maybe ask in the electrics forum

Will have a look tomorrow. Strange the smell hovers mid room....argghhhh

Sponsored Links
It will either catch fire or stop working in that time.

It's all to do with the sewage system. Nothing else.

Faulty junction box under the floorboards giving off a strange smell.

Andy

I thought about that. Had one recently where custard mentioned a smell in a cupboard. Turned out to be a bad connection in a heavy duty switch for the leccie shower.

Was more of a fishy smell though, as the plastic around the terminal warmed up. Not really gassy.

do you have gas fire ? concealed boiler flue ? do you suffer any symptons on top of the bad smell ? radon gas ?

Had this once with gas smell but only when heating on. Turned out something had be spilt down back of radiator and would only smell when hot.
Had me searching everywhere for a leak.

Had this once with gas smell but only when heating on. Turned out something had be spilt down back of radiator and would only smell when hot.
Had me searching everywhere for a leak.

This is all the time - worse if room has been closed. Even with window open still there but hangs mid room. Going to lift a floorboard or two tonight.
Would there be drainage/vent pipes in the loft (there is a bathroom next door)

Could be something from the bathroom. Is the bath or shower against the wall of the bedroom? If so I would be looking at damp getting through.

I had a look outside - there is a pipe from the gutter to the main soil pipe, a join from the downstairs loo to the soil pipe but nothing for the upstairs bathroom. Will that be plumbed to the pipework directly below?
The soil pipe goes into the soffit and there is a roof vent. No pipes go near the bedroom with the smell.

Lifted floorboards and no smell or sign of what could be the cause.

Need to look in the attic next, I did see a small plastic pipe that goes from the soffit to outside, is that a vent? Any other pipework likely to be up there? There is a slight musty smell but not gas like......

Enough to drive you nuts I tell ya :)

Just Turning gas off is not the way to check it.
It costs nothing for the emergency provider to come out and check that you dont have a leak.
You may well have a leaking service or your neighbour may have a leak which both can find there way through the fabric of the building.
A few simple test by the guy will confirm that its not an actual gas leak the guy wont mind that it may well prove to be a false alarm as many reported gas leaks turn out to be.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back