Smell wafting up from soil next to soil pipe..

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello everyone, I have a question regarding a soil pipe going underneath my bathroom from the loo to outside.

There has been a damp musty smell in the house when it rains, and I have I think located the problem to wet soil under the bathroom floor.

A few years ago the bathroom was replaced by the previous owner and I think a new soilpipe? installed. The problem is that it required digging a channel into the foundation concrete for the pipe run - exposing the soil underneath. I think when that gets wet there is a smell wafting up from the area. You should be able to see the damp soil in the photos, which I hope make it a bit clearer..
My question is do I completely concrete over the pipe?
or put down pea shingle to the height of the top of the pipes and then layer of concrete? Or what else could I do to stop the floor getting wet?

The area to be fixed is quite small just alongside the pipe 1ft wide for about 6 ft to the loo.

I would really appreciate ideas as how to sort the problem out.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back