Smelly rug smelly rug

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Guy's

a couple of weeks ago I pressure washed two floor rugs with detergent and soap and hung them to dry. After a day in the cold sunshine I brought them in and hung them over the banisters overnight.

Then the fun started. Jeepers what a smell. the house stunk to high heaven. A rancid putrid smell -imagine if you will 100 years of dog and cat wee - and I took them out and left them in the shed.

Today I took them out and they still stink bad so bad that within an hr they were back in the shed

I guess we are going to have to bin them but has any idea's why this is? (and no we haven't had a hundred years of dog and cats defecating on them before you say!)

Sponsored Links
maybe a tom cat christened the rugs whilst they were on the line outside?

Mention smelly rugs and D2 turns up. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Sponsored Links
Pressure washed?

Was that the advice on the care label?

;)

I suspect part of the problem is that they have yet to dry out and air properly. Probably not the best time of year to do this really :confused:

Could the pressure wash disturb the resins or something and that is the smell?? i'll wager there are all sorts of chemicals used in the manufacture of those rugs.

Could be as simple as it's not rinsed off sufficiently.

I did put a rag rug in a clothes dryer once but I would never ever do it again I think that had a fair contibution to killing it,just a mad moment I suppose.

rugs etc are not supposed to be washed with water. Put a woolen coat in the washer and see how that smells when it comes out..... Things like that need dry cleaning or a good old fashioned flogging.

Sponsored Links
Back